Main Menu

Do you have a fancy job title?

Started by Zanza, April 06, 2010, 10:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVN

attaché or legal advisor, so nothing really fancy

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 07, 2010, 06:28:18 AM
My job title is the most general unprecise title ever. I am : TECHNICIAN. In all caps, for some reason.

Heh, just like me, except the caps. :p If I feel like it, I can call myself "Project technician", in order to tell me apart from the Area technicians.

Liep

My title is quite straightforward, train driver. It makes sense.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

My official current title is "Revenue Systems Analyst", but I constantly get called "system manager" or "system designer" for our applications, even by my boss when introducing me to people (once he said "acting implementation manager" too).  I have a manager's cubicle (i.e. 3x as large as what the other 'official' analysts get), a Blackberry (only management gets those, too) and directly manage a testing consultant as well as indirectly manage a bunch of offshore devs.  I think the weirdness with the title is due to the hiring and salary freeze which has been in place since 2007, TBH.

This is the first time since 2000 that I've had a title of less than "Manager" of something  :blush:, but I get treated and generally paid as a manager, so I don't care that much.  My current company is extremely stingy about titles, too, which I think is also a factor.

...actually, come to think of it, my last job title was "Account Executive", so I guess that's not technically a manager title, but my business cards said "Recruiting Manager" and I directly managed between 25-35 people, so again I think it was just formalities/HR inflexibility.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Pedrito

Supply Chain Manager in some contexts; Owner in others.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on April 07, 2010, 06:39:32 AM
No shit?

Valdemar

You drive trains? DSB, Arriva or S-Tog?

I sit at Sølvgade/Kalvebod as an external consultant.

As to titles, mine is manager in the classical big 4 hierachy setup. Consultant, sen. Consultant, Manager, Sen. manager, Director, partner.

V

Liep

Quote from: Valdemar on April 07, 2010, 07:30:58 AM

You drive trains? DSB, Arriva or S-Tog?

I sit at Sølvgade/Kalvebod as an external consultant.

V

The funny looking red ones. Only ones I know on Kalvebod are the traffic controllers, but they could use consulting. :p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Brazen

Editor.

Not "fancy" but it's a neon sign in my heart.

Octavian

My title is quite common in the Danish civil service but somewhat difficult to translate. Several translations are used according to the web:

Academic, Administrative Officer

Adminstrative Officer, MSc

Head of section (somewhat misleading)

In danish it's AC-fuldmægtig.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Lucidor

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2010, 06:47:23 AM
a Blackberry (only management gets those, too)

For some reason, this makes me  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

"Unemployed" isn't much impressive as a job title.  Neither, for that matter, is the threefold job title I had with CSD: "Communication Assistant(CA)," "Relay Agent," or "Operator."  Explanation for that was that different states require different titles for the people working on their relay grids, so our computers would tell us which to use as each call came in.  In fact, the closest I came to a "fancy title" was when I was working sales as a "Marketing and Sales Representative," which utterly failed as an ego booster.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

My company only has three people with the title of Vice President. One of them is a co-owner of the company and another is the President's wife.  :P

I am a Director, but I don't have a budget in the billions. The company isn't anywhere near big enough for that. It's in the single-digit millions for my department. There is no CIO, so I'm the department head.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers