Leaked video showing US helicopter shooting journalists and civilians

Started by Pat, April 06, 2010, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2010, 10:40:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: Jaron on April 06, 2010, 10:04:27 PM
I'm sorry, I was under the impression America had a professional army.

You know, meaning our soldiers should approach their jobs with full professionalism and seriousness, not act like cowboys raising hell through the old west.

But they did just that. What about them do you think was so unprofessional? The fact that they laughed at some point?
I'd say that the "please, please, let me blow up that van" doesn't quite come off right to general audience.

This wasn't meant for a general audience, I doubt everything you say you think twice about saying just because it could potentially be heard if something goes wrong.

These are for oversight, like it is being used for in the investigation.  This isn't intended for NBC nightly news and Al Jazeera.  As I said, these may be a bit of extreme comments, but  they're basically thinking out loud and not about how they are being monitored in case something is wrong.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

garbon

I generally choose my words when I know I'm on tape/speaker. :smarty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 11:50:37 PM
Quote from: Jaron on April 06, 2010, 11:11:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: Jaron on April 06, 2010, 10:04:27 PM
I'm sorry, I was under the impression America had a professional army.

You know, meaning our soldiers should approach their jobs with full professionalism and seriousness, not act like cowboys raising hell through the old west.

But they did just that. What about them do you think was so unprofessional? The fact that they laughed at some point?

I didn't see anything funny about what they were doing. Would you not think it odd if paramedics laughed at your injuries while they took you to the hospital, or a policeman laughed at you while you told him how you came home to find your spouse murdered? War is a serious business, not some video game as these men seem to think. Where is the humor? Note I am not passing any judgment on what they did, just their conduct while doing it.

I think you would be rather surprised at the things that paramedics, cops, and such joke about on a rather regular basis, especially to each other when there is no expectation that anyone else will be listening.

And they weren't saying these things to anyone but themselves, so your analogies are Martyesque in their suckitude.

I went to court with an ex-girlfriend as a ride and moral support.  While sitting there we heard two lawyers joking about a child sex abuse case.  Once they realized someone had overheard them they quickly shut up and hurried off, they never acknowledged us though.  When you deal with something every single day it loses it's emotional impact, no matter how serious the situation may be to people to whom the situation is foreign.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 07, 2010, 12:15:13 AM
Surely just laughing at the ludicrous nature of the statement?

Alex just wanted to make sure we weren't thinking about those conservative gay hippies in SF.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2010, 09:25:59 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 09:06:28 PM
I am sure now that this is leaked, there will be an investigation - however, I am pretty sure once it was clear a couple journos got themselves killed, there was already an investigation. I would like to know what the Army concluded from that, even if I am not sure it would be very good for the Army to release those findings.
The investigation is ongoing, I believe.  Whatever the findings, they will be labeled either a whitewash or a witch hunt.

I read it was already completed (the incident happened 3 years ago after all) and found the soldiers were acting in accordance to the rules of engagement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2010, 12:06:05 AM
Same here, I'm always mindful of what I'm putting in the e-mail.  You never know when your recorded communication might be used in some kind of a legal proceeding, to be taken out of context or misinterpreted.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 11:49:02 PM
But they didn't say that.
I'm paraphrasing, of course.  The actual quote is "Come on, let us shoot!" at 9:38, with the crosshair pointed at the van.  Could it be taken the wrong way by people not in the know?  Of course.  Does it sound bad to people not in the know?  Most definitely.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2010, 01:34:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2010, 12:06:05 AM
Same here, I'm always mindful of what I'm putting in the e-mail.  You never know when your recorded communication might be used in some kind of a legal proceeding, to be taken out of context or misinterpreted.

Yeah, but you're a Russian and that's second nature to you people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2010, 01:08:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 07, 2010, 12:15:13 AM
Surely just laughing at the ludicrous nature of the statement?

Alex just wanted to make sure we weren't thinking about those conservative gay hippies in SF.

Please, I've watched "Milk". There is no mention of conservative gay hippies, just liberal gay hippies on the streets, in the public office, even in wheelchairs. At the end the hero triumphs and defeats the enemy by killing him, making America safe once more from the forces of evil.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on April 06, 2010, 11:11:48 PM
Would you not think it odd if paramedics laughed at your injuries while they took you to the hospital, or a policeman laughed at you while you told him how you came home to find your spouse murdered?

Happens all the time.

QuoteNote I am not passing any judgment on what they did, just their conduct while doing it.

Fag.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Alexandru H. on April 07, 2010, 03:47:42 AM
Please, I've watched "Milk".

Which makes you as qualified as Marty to speak on faggit issues.  Carry on.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 06, 2010, 09:37:39 PM
Thing is, this wasn't a warzone during the invasion of Iraq. It's an ostensibly occupied city.
Not sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying that there is no war there, or that the war is not taking place in Baghdad?

QuoteI'm not saying the soldier's decision wasn't justified, especially as more info comes out about the circumstances, but let's not pretend these guys were walking in the middle of nowhere. The combat zone was where they lived.
The van had the brother, wife, and kids of one of the insurgents in it.  They had just seen their insurgent relative get gunned down during an op.  They would logically, of course, have considered that maybe exposing the kids to the same danger that had just taken out dad might not be a good idea, but they were also probably desperate to help get dad to a hospital (not knowing he was already dead).

So, the van rushes into the combat to try to rescue dad, and gets attacked.  Serving as an insurgent ambulance will sometimes have that result, especially as there are no Red Cross/Crescent markings (it being an entirely unofficial ambulance).  As far as the guys in the helo and on the ground knew, this could have been a suicide bomber's vehicle prepping for a run on the troops, or whatever.

Turns out, though, that the kids seem to have facotred into no one's considerations; not the US pilots, because they didn't know about them, and not their mom or uncle, because they seemed to be anxious to save the kids' dad without thinking about the dangers.

Life sucks for some people, for reasons beyond their control.  So it is with these kids.  There doesn't have to be anyone to blame.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2010, 01:40:30 AM
I'm paraphrasing, of course.  The actual quote is "Come on, let us shoot!" at 9:38, with the crosshair pointed at the van.  Could it be taken the wrong way by people not in the know?  Of course.  Does it sound bad to people not in the know who are looking for evidence to support a conclusion developed in the absence of evidence?  Most definitely.
FYP.  It "most definitely" sounds bad to people who want it to sound bad. You can identify those people because they "paraphrase" to make statements look as damning as possible, hoping that no one will point out that their paraphrase is dishonest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!