Leaked video showing US helicopter shooting journalists and civilians

Started by Pat, April 06, 2010, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 06, 2010, 02:10:03 PM
Was it really necessary to destroy the van that was picking up the wounded guy?
Dunno what the ROE was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 06, 2010, 02:16:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2010, 02:07:37 PM
It doesn't show clearly that these people were armed with AK-47s and RPGs, but they were (the ground troops found the weapons when they secured the scene).

Journalists really shouldn't appear in the open with insurgents.  It is dangerous.

Link? I didn't see that mentioned with the video when I saw it on Greenwald's blog, and it would change my opinion quite a bit.
NPR
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Quote from: Fate on April 06, 2010, 04:18:50 PM
Durka durka, let's gather out in the open line of sight of two clearly audible and visible Apaches. Durka durka, let's send more pigs to slaughter once it's clear the Americans are a bit trigger happy.

I mean, if this is the quality of insurgent we've been facing since 2003, it's really speaks poorly on the US military. Hurry the fuck up already and win the war.

Apaches are really really quiet.  And you have to actually look for them to find them, they aren't as easy to spot as you may think.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Fate

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 06, 2010, 04:27:47 PM
Durka durka, let's gather out in the open line of sight of two clearly audible and visible Apaches. Durka durka, let's send more pigs to slaughter once it's clear the Americans are a bit trigger happy.

I mean, if this is the quality of insurgent we've been facing since 2003, it's really speaks poorly on the US military. Hurry the fuck up already and win the war.

Apaches are really really quiet.  And you have to actually look for them to find them, they aren't as easy to spot as you may think.

Alright, I can accept that. My only frame of reference is the inner city and you can hear (if not see) the news type helicopters from miles away.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 06, 2010, 04:27:47 PM

Apaches are really really quiet.  And you h:mad:ave to actually look for them to find them, they aren't as easy to spot as you may think.
Fate Rule violation!

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2010, 04:41:06 PM
I came.

No shit.  My pants are a dairy factory strafed with a 30mm chain gun of spooge after that vid.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2010, 02:16:28 PM
"Well we admit they were armed, BUT THEY APPEARED RELAXED"

LOL Outrage FIAL

That was a laffer.

And sorry, but any video that opens with an Orwell quote automatically fails.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2010, 04:45:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2010, 04:41:06 PM
I came.

No shit.  My pants are a dairy factory strafed with a 30mm chain gun of spooge after that vid.

Only thing that turns me on more is dead Swedes or AC-130 videos.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

It's a shame that, in combat, the Apache pilots didn't have the chance to replay the footage over and over again to look for every possible clue and subtlety like the internet chatterati have.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

I heard the NPR story.  Another thing they mentioned was the guys in the Apache thought the cameramen were hoisting RPGs on their shoulders.

On the other hand the journalists were from Reuters, so maybe it wasn't accidental.

Berkut

When civvies get killed because combatants are not clearly identifying themselves as non-civilian, the fault does not lie with whomever pulls the trigger, but with those combatants who are using civilian dress to hide their status.

And why is it especially tragic that journalists with insurgent forces are killed when those forces come under fire from the good guys, any more so then when the bad guys kill them when they are with the good guys?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alexandru H.

The best thing about this video is that the victims look like a bunch of liberal gay hippies from San Francisco. Dreams can become reality.

Razgovory

Saw this earlier, didn't post it here because I couldn't find a video that wasn't edited with quotes and shit.  Despite all the claims of "Murder!" at no time did the pilots show any indication that they thought they were firing on journalists or civilians.  I'm not a military guy, but as far as I could tell they were not acting inappropriately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017