Leaked video showing US helicopter shooting journalists and civilians

Started by Pat, April 06, 2010, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

On the other hand, civilians need to keep a tight leash on our military forces lest they become the only body they are answerable to. So while it is uncomfortable to criticize people in a warzone from the safety of our homes, it may be the only thing that keeps their feet and their minds firmly grounded in reality.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 09:06:28 PM
I am sure now that this is leaked, there will be an investigation - however, I am pretty sure once it was clear a couple journos got themselves killed, there was already an investigation. I would like to know what the Army concluded from that, even if I am not sure it would be very good for the Army to release those findings.
The investigation is ongoing, I believe.  Whatever the findings, they will be labeled either a whitewash or a witch hunt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

OK, so here is what I saw with the van.

They had engaged hostile targets, and they had friendlys moving into the area to secure, and then this van shows up, and starts picking up bodies.

Are they civilians? Are they going to shoot at the ground unit that is on its way? Who knows?

The decision to let them engage was probably hasty, and in hindsight may have been a mistake given some time to reflect on it - but I am not particularly surprised it was made.

After watching the video, I am a bit surprised - it isn't nearly as damning as I thought it would be. It's not like the Apache pilots could know there were kids in that van - who the fuck drives up to a combat zone with kids in the fucking car?

And their language - it isn't that bad. Typical soldier speak, from what I have seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 09:34:07 PM
After watching the video, I am a bit surprised - it isn't nearly as damning as I thought it would be. It's not like the Apache pilots could know there were kids in that van - who the fuck drives up to a combat zone with kids in the fucking car?

Thing is, this wasn't a warzone during the invasion of Iraq. It's an ostensibly occupied city.

I'm not saying the soldier's decision wasn't justified, especially as more info comes out about the circumstances, but let's not pretend these guys were walking in the middle of nowhere. The combat zone was where they lived.

Jaron

I'm sorry, I was under the impression America had a professional army.

You know, meaning our soldiers should approach their jobs with full professionalism and seriousness, not act like cowboys raising hell through the old west.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on April 06, 2010, 10:04:27 PM

You know, meaning our soldiers should approach their jobs with full professionalism and seriousness, not act like cowboys raising hell through the old west.
I recommend you stop being such a faggot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2010, 10:15:09 PM

I recommend you stop being such a faggot.

You must be confusing me for someone else.

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on April 06, 2010, 09:37:39 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 09:34:07 PM

Thing is, this wasn't a warzone during the invasion of Iraq. It's an ostensibly occupied city.

I'm not saying the soldier's decision wasn't justified, especially as more info comes out about the circumstances, but let's not pretend these guys were walking in the middle of nowhere. The combat zone was where they lived.

Yeah, and if I lived in a combat zone, and had my kids in the damn car, there is no way I am driving it anywhere near where shooting just went on.

0 rows returned

Berkut

But they did just that. What about them do you think was so unprofessional? The fact that they laughed at some point?

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2010, 10:37:17 PM

But they did just that. What about them do you think was so unprofessional? The fact that they laughed at some point?
I'd say that the "please, please, let me blow up that van" doesn't quite come off right to general audience.

Jaron

I didn't see anything funny about what they were doing. Would you not think it odd if paramedics laughed at your injuries while they took you to the hospital, or a policeman laughed at you while you told him how you came home to find your spouse murdered? War is a serious business, not some video game as these men seem to think. Where is the humor? Note I am not passing any judgment on what they did, just their conduct while doing it.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2010, 10:40:33 PM

I'd say that the "please, please, let me blow up that van" doesn't quite come off right to general audience.

But they didn't say that.

I do think that a lot of it doesn't come off right to people who don't understand what is going on, which is why the military should be a bit better about realizing that in this day and age, everything they say is likely to be heard by people who don't understand the context.

But the guy didn't say "Please let me blow up that van" he said something like "Can I engage? Can I engage? They are taking the bodies and weapons..."

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on April 06, 2010, 11:11:48 PM

I didn't see anything funny about what they were doing. Would you not think it odd if paramedics laughed at your injuries while they took you to the hospital, or a policeman laughed at you while you told him how you came home to find your spouse murdered? War is a serious business, not some video game as these men seem to think. Where is the humor? Note I am not passing any judgment on what they did, just their conduct while doing it.

I think you would be rather surprised at the things that paramedics, cops, and such joke about on a rather regular basis, especially to each other when there is no expectation that anyone else will be listening.

And they weren't saying these things to anyone but themselves, so your analogies are Martyesque in their suckitude.

0 rows returned

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2010, 11:45:06 PM
Quote from: citizen k on April 06, 2010, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on April 06, 2010, 05:34:08 PM
look like a bunch of liberal gay hippies from San Francisco

:lol:

:huh:

I didn't realize liberal gay hippies looked like that. Not to mention the mixing of san fran stereotypes by the uninformed e. euro.