Leaked video showing US helicopter shooting journalists and civilians

Started by Pat, April 06, 2010, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

I honestly don't know what to say. I have no doubt people here will find lots to say, though...

edit: more info

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/05/wikileaks-more-backg.html

grumbler

It doesn't show clearly that these people were armed with AK-47s and RPGs, but they were (the ground troops found the weapons when they secured the scene).

Journalists really shouldn't appear in the open with insurgents.  It is dangerous.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grinning_Colossus

Was it really necessary to destroy the van that was picking up the wounded guy?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

The people responsible for this should be ashamed.  What happened to common decency, why broadcast people's last moments for the whole world to see?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2010, 02:07:37 PM
It doesn't show clearly that these people were armed with AK-47s and RPGs, but they were (the ground troops found the weapons when they secured the scene).

Journalists really shouldn't appear in the open with insurgents.  It is dangerous.

Link? I didn't see that mentioned with the video when I saw it on Greenwald's blog, and it would change my opinion quite a bit.

The Brain

"Well we admit they were armed, BUT THEY APPEARED RELAXED"

LOL Outrage FIAL
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2010, 02:14:08 PM
What's so shocking or offensive about this video?

Peepole got killt and there were Amerikkkans laffing aboutit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alcibiades

They are VERY obviously armed, and you can see the asshole peaking around the corner with an RPG around 4:20.  Obviously the troops are engaged that are talking to the Apaches, otherwise they wouldn't be on the same freq as the apaches, but on the radio with higher elements instead.

Journalists shouldn't be embedded with insurgents, because we open up on them when they have no clue it's coming.  Journalists die all the time with us, IED's, sniper fire, etc. and it doesn't make the news.  And they watch insurgents kill us too, so they take the risks to be on the other side and this time it didn't "pay off".

Edit:  This sounds like it happened fairly close to where I was, according to the grid coordinates.  Obviously months before I was there though.

Edit 2:  Engagement of the bongo truck is suspect, they should have gotten ground elements there quicker, but you never know if it's a high profile individual insurgents are there to rescue.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Fate

If the van was really full of insurgents, why the fuck would they fully expose themselves so quickly after previous enemy contact? Couldn't they hear and see the two Apaches still circling around their fresh kills? Seems more like a bunch of panicked civilians.

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on April 06, 2010, 04:06:08 PM
If the van was really full of insurgents, why the fuck would they fully expose themselves so quickly after previous enemy contact? Couldn't they hear and see the two Apaches still circling around their fresh kills? Seems more like a bunch of panicked civilians.

I'm guessing insurgents do all sorts of wacky, nonsensical things. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: Fate on April 06, 2010, 04:06:08 PM
Doubt the pilots of Apache gunships have the capacity for Dostoyevsky-level psychological introspection while attempting to take down guys with RPGs.  Just a thought.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Fate

Durka durka, let's gather out in the open line of sight of two clearly audible and visible Apaches. Durka durka, let's send more pigs to slaughter once it's clear the Americans are a bit trigger happy.

I mean, if this is the quality of insurgent we've been facing since 2003, it's really speaks poorly on the US military. Hurry the fuck up already and win the war.