News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Unexpected news: HoI3 Expansion announced

Started by Syt, April 06, 2010, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I bet there will still be problems with the map.  Just a guess.

What I found odd about HOI 3, was the implementation of shit that didn't work the first time and taken out of the second game.  Like the crap research system and the crap diplomatic system.  I hated those, and was happy when they were taken out of the second game.  For some reason they felt the need to add them back in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

I'll report when I have tried it. I haven't had time yet. Swamped with work.

Faeelin

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 04:54:00 PM
I bet there will still be problems with the map.  Just a guess.

What I found odd about HOI 3, was the implementation of shit that didn't work the first time and taken out of the second game.  Like the crap research system and the crap diplomatic system.  I hated those, and was happy when they were taken out of the second game.  For some reason they felt the need to add them back in.

Paradox is fundamentally opposed to fixing things that are broken. I don't know if it's impossible or because it is boring, but it means that even this expansion will have a US that can't attack Japan.

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on June 29, 2011, 08:59:15 AM

Paradox is fundamentally opposed to fixing things that are broken. I don't know if it's impossible or because it is boring, but it means that even this expansion will have a US that can't attack Japan.

Maybe they are just living up to their name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 01:01:24 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on June 29, 2011, 08:59:15 AM

Maybe they are just living up to their name.

You know, that might just be it.

Valmy

Blah blah just release CK2 so I can be massively dissapointed already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2011, 03:54:21 PM
Blah blah just release CK2 so I can be massively dissapointed already.

You don't need CK2 for that, but any recent Paradox release.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on June 29, 2011, 06:22:25 PM
You don't need CK2 for that, but any recent Paradox release.

I have to have expectations to be disappointed though :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

While I totally share the sentiment here (especially about HoI3), maybe it is worth some self-reflection to realize, that EU2, which got almost all of us to Paradox and here respectively, is inferior to recent Paradox games in every regard, except for the competition it faced in it's time, and our nostalgia.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2011, 01:49:10 AM
inferior to recent Paradox games in every regard, except for the competition it faced in it's time, and our nostalgia.

Nah EU2 was fun, played quickly, and was pretty easy and intuitive.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2011, 08:05:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2011, 01:49:10 AM
inferior to recent Paradox games in every regard, except for the competition it faced in it's time, and our nostalgia.

Nah EU2 was fun, played quickly, and was pretty easy and intuitive.

and slapped history in the face repeatedly

Valmy

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2011, 08:26:35 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2011, 08:24:13 AM

So?

that's the exact same reason why we tear the recent Paradox games apart. And that's the only feature they share with EU2, they are superior in every other respect. They are even more historical than EU2

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2011, 08:32:23 AM
that's the exact same reason why we tear the recent Paradox games apart. And that's the only feature they share with EU2, they are superior in every other respect. They are even more historical than EU2

No we tear them apart because they are not fun,  poorly designed, and unacceptably buggy.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2011, 08:32:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2011, 08:26:35 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2011, 08:24:13 AM

So?

I can't really agree with this, at least not with regards to EUIII.  EU2 had a bunch of historical straightjackets.  Play Vijanayager (sp) in EU2, and on a certain date, you either have to give the Moguls most of your provinces, or suffer major penalties, no matter how well you were doing up to that point.  Or play Castille, and as long as you keep good relations with Aragon, you're going to inherit them on a set date.  Or, God forbid, play the Ming and play half the game with revolt risks of +15 or worse in all your provinces, with nothing you can do about it.

EUIII has a lot of improvements:  it's more stable, the system of recruitment by regiments is an improvement IMO, etc., but it's also inferior in some ways.  And in no way is it more historical, because it was designed to NOT have the historical straightjackets that EU2 had.