And we're back!

Main Menu

Unexpected news: HoI3 Expansion announced

Started by Syt, April 06, 2010, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2010, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 08, 2010, 03:15:37 PM
Meh. To each his own I guess. I like the model where they release the game, listens to the customer and then releases addons containing what the customers demand. I have payed for HoI 3 and it wasn't as good as I hoped (but still superior to EU3 vanilla). Instead of whining about it and never touching the game again I would be willing to pay a modest sum to get substantial improvements.

You are perfectly free to not buy the expansions if you don't like the system.

I prefered the model they used when they released their first games.  You know the one where they kept patching until they got the game to where they wanted it free of charge.  We could have faith that even though the game was buggy on release - and it always was, we would eventually get our monies worth after several patches.

Now we have to sit back and wait a year or two while people like you continue to encourage them in this model where people pay for the priviledge of them fixing their game.  Also, before you start talking Paradox Forum Fanboi trash you should realize that the folks here were among the original fan base that launched paradox back when Johan was programming out of his basement.

You might think it relevant that the type of gamers that where originally attracted to this gaming company will no longer buy their products on release.

I believe that EU3 with all the expansions is far superior to what EU3 patched 11 or 51 or whatever times would have been. I am willing to pay for the expansions, because they add to my experience and make their games more fun. If you are not then you don't have to. Start up a game company of your own if you think your business-model is so good.

I was one of the people that was on the forum before EU1 and hence part of the original fan base, and I have bought every Paradox game since then. EU3, Rome and HoI3 has changed my mind, I won't be buying every new game they make, but still. Expansions made EU3 into one of the best games I have ever played in a way that simple patching would never have done. Expansions made Rome into something that at least didn't make my eyes bleed. I hope that expansions will make HoI 3 the best game ever for me, and for that I am willing to pay a measly 20€ or whatever.

Alcibiades

How many times you willing to pay that 30$ on top of the initial 50$ though?  Three?  Four? 

EU3, In Nomine, Napoleons Ambition, Heir to the Throne.....  How much of a money sink is that.  I agree, it's great....but come on, they're milking us.

(brain alert)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 11, 2010, 12:49:49 AM
How many times you willing to pay that 30$ on top of the initial 50$ though?  Three?  Four?
Depends on how much it adds to the game. If I get let's say 10-20 hours of fun out of a $30 add-on, that's fine for me. Still cheap compared to other alternatives for entertainment. So far I have not regretted any of the Paradox add-ons I bought pricewise as I have certainly played each of them for much more than 20 hours.

Agelastus

Paradox started this model with EU2. I remember asking then why we should pay full price for a new game that was at best an expansion, and at worst little more than a patch.

And EU3 with all the expansions is a great game; EU3 at its initial release was so crap that I didn't touch it again until HTTT came out!!!

I'm like Threviel. I precede the release of EUI on the Paradox forums. Haven't bought every game though...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

What's the mod community like with this game?
HOI 2 had some pretty awesome ones.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2010, 03:26:26 AM
Depends on how much it adds to the game. If I get let's say 10-20 hours of fun out of a $30 add-on, that's fine for me. Still cheap compared to other alternatives for entertainment. So far I have not regretted any of the Paradox add-ons I bought pricewise as I have certainly played each of them for much more than 20 hours.

I completely agree.  The quality and quantity of things they add with their expansions is more than worth the price they charge, IMO.  I have probably already spent close to 100 hours laying HttT between MP and SP.  That is a pretty good deal for $20.  I would love to see them put out ANOTHER EU3 expansion, I would buy it in a heartbeat. 

I also know, unfortunately, that the only way that HOI3 is going to become worth a crap is an expansion or two.  I am willing to pay for it though, based on their previous track record.  I spent more time playing HOI2 than any other game ever, Morrowind and now EU3 are the only other competitors.  I am more than willing to pay $80-100 ($40 pre-order and a handful of $20 expansions) over a 3-4 year period for the finished game I think it can be.  I can understand why other people wouldn't want to do that, especially the people who "grew up" with Paradox, but again it is their choice; just don't buy the game until a bundle with the expansions comes out.

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2010, 07:59:38 AM

I don't follow or play mods much but as far as I can tell most of the mods are either AI or map mods.

Threviel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2010, 07:59:38 AM

I still haven't found any good mods, the last one I tried gave the SS battalion for battalion in events. Boring as hell.
One more thing about expansions, HoI3 is painfully slowon my computer, but so was EU3 back before the first expansions. I look forward to a much faster HoI after the expansion.

garbon

If I get let's say 10-20 hours of fun out of a $30 add-on, that's fine for me. Still cheap compared to other alternatives for entertainment.

Really? I generally find sex to be free. Much cheaper.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alcibiades

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2010, 07:12:48 PM
If I get let's say 10-20 hours of fun out of a $30 add-on, that's fine for me. Still cheap compared to other alternatives for entertainment.

Really? I generally find sex to be free. Much cheaper.

That's because you're the girl.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 11, 2010, 08:18:50 PM
That's because you're the girl.

Actually that's just a quaint heterosexual notion that the same male-female gender constraints are present in homosexual relations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

What about "Arsenal for Democracy"? Was that any good?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

I don't have a problem with expansions that add new features--which so far, all of Paradox's expansions which I have paid for have added enough new features that they have justified the cost.  The problem I have is that since they don't patch their games as much as they used to, preferring to release expansions instead, it's not possible to get bug fixes without getting the expansions.