News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Unexpected news: HoI3 Expansion announced

Started by Syt, April 06, 2010, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on April 08, 2010, 03:15:37 PM
You are perfectly free to not buy the expansions if you don't like the system.

Yes, but for how long?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

I like the system where they release a terrible game with a ton of potential. I ignore it because it sucks, but a bunch of fanbois buy it up and test it.

Then they improve the game, and thank the fanbois for testing for them by making them pay for the improvements. I continue to ignore it.

Rinse. Repeat.
Rinse. Repeat.
Rinse. Repeat.

Eventually a pretty damn good game emerges, and they package up all the "expansions" into one "complete" package that I then buy on sale for 50% of the original price for the broken game without any "expansions".

Really, keep up the good work people! Looking forward to this in another couple expansions...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 08, 2010, 11:46:16 AM
Yeah, I can't be bothered to pay $80 over 3 years to play a game that is finally good.  Their new 'strategy' sucks.

Which is why I waited to merely pay ~$23 for EU 3 : Complete and HTTT and have easily gotten my money's worth.

If you feel Paradox only releases a game that's decent after a couple of expansions (and I happen to agree with that sentiment), then just wait until they bring the price down.  Only the fanbois are going to pay full price for the honor of beta-testing.

Unless it's Victoria 2.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2010, 03:26:47 PM
Really, keep up the good work people! Looking forward to this in another couple expansions...

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2010, 03:26:47 PM
This. :contract:

For example, I recently bought Victoria + Revolutions for $10.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Every time I see this thread I think of Sten from Dragon Age saying "Unexpected" when you give him gifts. :thatsgay:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I'd rather it worked as promised out of the box.  You should be ashamed of yourself
Quote from: The Brain on April 08, 2010, 03:16:58 PM

Yes, but for how long?
PDH!

sbr

We need someone to make the "buying a car without an engine, then getting the engine 9 months later" analogy, it is my favorite. :yes:

PDH

Quote from: sbr on April 09, 2010, 05:54:45 PM
We need someone to make the "buying a car without an engine, then getting the engine 9 months later" analogy, it is my favorite. :yes:
No, that analogy sucks.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

Quote from: PDH on April 09, 2010, 07:00:16 PM
No, that analogy sucks.

It's more like buying one car, and then taking the engine out of it and putting it in an entirely new car nine months later.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Zanza

The EU3 expansions were definitely worth their price. I guess I would have preferred to buy a complete game at a higher price, but that may not be feasible from a marketing and cashflow perspective for Paradox.

PC games are probably too cheap to make enough money. As far as I can tell, there was virtually no price inflation since the early 90s. That's why they need to make money on expansions.

I am surprised that they don't go for ancillary revenue more with say more downloadable content or selling services on their forum.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Agelastus on April 09, 2010, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 09, 2010, 07:00:16 PM
No, that analogy sucks.

It's more like buying one car, and then taking the engine out of it and putting it in an entirely new car nine months later.
Or buying what is supposed to be a six cylinder Honda and finding a four cylinder Kia with a transmission that is spotty and a side view mirror that is duct taped on.
PDH!

crazy canuck

Meh. To each his own I guess. I like the model where they release the game, listens to the customer and then releases addons containing what the customers demand. I have payed for HoI 3 and it wasn't as good as I hoped (but still superior to EU3 vanilla). Instead of whining about it and never touching the game again I would be willing to pay a modest sum to get substantial improvements.

I prefered the model they used when they released their first games.  You know the one where they kept patching until they got the game to where they wanted it free of charge.  We could have faith that even though the game was buggy on release - and it always was, we would eventually get our monies worth after several patches.

Now we have to sit back and wait a year or two while people like you continue to encourage them in this model where people pay for the priviledge of them fixing their game.  Also, before you start talking Paradox Forum Fanboi trash you should realize that the folks here were among the original fan base that launched paradox back when Johan was programming out of his basement.

You might think it relevant that the type of gamers that where originally attracted to this gaming company will no longer buy their products on release.

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2010, 11:09:42 PM
Meh. To each his own I guess. I like the model where they release the game, listens to the customer and then releases addons containing what the customers demand. I have payed for HoI 3 and it wasn't as good as I hoped (but still superior to EU3 vanilla). Instead of whining about it and never touching the game again I would be willing to pay a modest sum to get substantial improvements.

I prefered the model they used when they released their first games.  You know the one where they kept patching until they got the game to where they wanted it free of charge.  We could have faith that even though the game was buggy on release - and it always was, we would eventually get our monies worth after several patches.

But those days are gone.  They are never, ever coming back, regardless of how many copies of the HOI3 expansion are sold.  If it sells poorly their solution won't be to starting working for free to make up for it.  Johan working on his own time to make nine patches for a game is an outdated business model, just like newspapers.  Great while it lasted but mostly gone or going now. 

QuoteNow we have to sit back and wait a year or two while people like you continue to encourage them in this model where people pay for the priviledge of them fixing their game.  Also, before you start talking Paradox Forum Fanboi trash you should realize that the folks here were among the original fan base that launched paradox back when Johan was programming out of his basement.

Which part of that post is " Paradox Forum Fanboi trash"?  The part where he likes the game and is willing to buy the expansion or the part where you don't have to if you don't want to?

QuoteYou might think it relevant that the type of gamers that where originally attracted to this gaming company will no longer buy their products on release.

There is no doubt of that.  It is the way that PI has been going for what 4-5 years now, since the start of EU3 development.  They have moved on to what they see as a bigger broader audience than they had for EU2 and Victoria.  They must see enough new sales to offset the loss in sales of their old loyal customers or they likely wouldn't have started moving the direction they have.

I would love to see them put out 9 free patches for HOI3, but as has been said by many people that is not going to happen.  SInce that is out i would prefer PI's current model of releasing a few $20 expansions for games than CA (or others) model of changing unit names, adding some new skins and pushing it out the door as a new $60 stand alone title.  I can understand why others would not like that though. :)