Main Menu

Unexpected news: HoI3 Expansion announced

Started by Syt, April 06, 2010, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on April 13, 2010, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2010, 03:26:26 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on April 11, 2010, 12:49:49 AM
How many times you willing to pay that 30$ on top of the initial 50$ though?  Three?  Four?
Depends on how much it adds to the game. If I get let's say 10-20 hours of fun out of a $30 add-on, that's fine for me. Still cheap compared to other alternatives for entertainment. So far I have not regretted any of the Paradox add-ons I bought pricewise as I have certainly played each of them for much more than 20 hours.

I don't have a problem with expansions that add new features--which so far, all of Paradox's expansions which I have paid for have added enough new features that they have justified the cost.  The problem I have is that since they don't patch their games as much as they used to, preferring to release expansions instead, it's not possible to get bug fixes without getting the expansions.

I dont mind "new" features.  That after all would be a real expansion.  What I cannot stand is your second point that they tend to use these expansions to fix things that should have been patched for free - like making the AI actually work.

I should have the choice of whether I want the new features - not whether I want the original game I purchased to work as first intended.

jimmy olsen

I meant to quote my lost post but deleted it by accident. <_<

Anyways, anyone have any advice on how to get the no time limit patch for HOI2 DD 1.3 to work? I'll post error specific info later tonight.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 12:25:31 AM

Anyways, anyone have any advice on how to get the no time limit patch for HOI2 DD 1.3 to work? I'll post error specific info later tonight.

How doesn't it work?  Where did you get no time limit mod?

AFAIK this one should work with every version of HOI2

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8205397&postcount=21.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on April 14, 2010, 12:30:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 12:25:31 AM

How doesn't it work?  Where did you get no time limit mod?

AFAIK this one should work with every version of HOI2

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8205397&postcount=21.
I tried using the ones that came with the mods themselves. Not sure if it's the same as that one. Like I said, I'll update you with 
the error message when I get home and have time to try again.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Okay, I tried that one already.

First I turn it to English.
Then I click on the no time limit button.
Then in the left hand box I click on C:/, then program files, then Paradox Interactive, then Modern Day Scenario 2.
Then HOI.exe pops up in the right hand box.
I click it, it highlights, and I click patch.
Then an error message says Runtime error 75, Path/File access error.

I have no idea why, if I click that button in the file the game starts, so it works. The game just immediately ends because it's past 1953.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 08:11:10 AM

Then in the left hand box I click on C:/, then program files, then Paradox Interactive, then Modern Day Scenario 2.

I have no idea why, if I click that button in the file the game starts, so it works. The game just immediately ends because it's past 1953.

If you're using Vista, have you altered the security settings of the HOI.exe file so it can be modified by a user? Which, strangely, you seem to have to do even if you are logged in with an administrator account.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 14, 2010, 08:28:31 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 08:11:10 AM

If you're using Vista, have you altered the security settings of the HOI.exe file so it can be modified by a user? Which, strangely, you seem to have to do even if you are logged in with an administrator account.
No, how do I do that?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I just noticed that Kaiserreich now requires Armageddon. I'm thinking it's worth the $4.95 just to play that mod.

What are the improvements to the regular game with it?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 08:40:12 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 14, 2010, 08:28:31 AM
No, how do I do that?

Right click on the HOI.exe to bring up "properties". The third tab is security. You will probably find that "users..." does not have the boxes "full control" and "modify" ticked. You can change this via the "edit" button.

The fact that you have to do this even though, in the case of both the Vistas laptops I have had access to, you are logged in with administrator rights is one of the main things that infuriates me about Vista.

I guess I'm going to have to start installing games outside of program files soon... :(

edit: It is just possible that you may have to change permissions for the whole folder, rather than just the file to be modified.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

jimmy olsen

Got the 1914 mod working. I think I'll play a game as the US 1911, and see how things go down before trying one of the main players.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I was unaware that Teddy Roosevelt was President and Williams Jennings Bryan his Secretary of State in 1911! :blink:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point