Viking longships, were they really that combat effective?

Started by Siege, April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Ok, back on topic, my other question is why did the vikings fail at colonizing Vinland?

I read something about it sometime ago, and the argument was that viking technology was less developed than the spanish technology that allowed for the conquest of the new world. My problem with this argument, is that the vikings might not have gunpowder weapons, but at the same time they weren't going up against highly organized and populated empires like the Aztecs or the Incans.

So, how effectives chainmail and swords would have been against the natives of Labrador and New England? I assume the locals would have been armed with stone-headed arrows and spears.

What gives?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on April 04, 2010, 03:34:03 PM
Ok, back on topic, my other question is why did the vikings fail at colonizing Vinland?

I read something about it sometime ago, and the argument was that viking technology was less developed than the spanish technology that allowed for the conquest of the new world. My problem with this argument, is that the vikings might not have gunpowder weapons, but at the same time they weren't going up against highly organized and populated empires like the Aztecs or the Incans.

So, how effectives chainmail and swords would have been against the natives of Labrador and New England? I assume the locals would have been armed with stone-headed arrows and spears.

What gives?

Viking activity in America wasn't a state project. Spanish activity in America was.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2010, 03:42:40 PM

What gives?

Viking activity in America wasn't a state project. Spanish activity in America was.
The "viking", i.e. Christian Norse speaking Greenland colonists were very few. The colonies they came from were not able to support any prolonged campaign against the natives of North America, due to very limited manpower. It was long sailing from Greenland to New Foundland, and took many weeks.

Razgovory

Also the boats were smaller and less reliable.  Harder to carry lots of horses, pigs, cows, chickens and that stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2010, 03:42:40 PM

What gives?

Quite the contrary, the Vikings that had moved to Iceland and later Greenland did so to get away from the "state"...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Syt

In an essay I read a few months ago the idea was put forward that the settlements in America and Greenland were lost/reduced in size due to worsening climatic conditions, i.e. the weath worsening to the point that regular longship traffic wasn't possible anymore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2010, 12:34:14 AM
In an essay I read a few months ago the idea was put forward that the settlements in America and Greenland were lost/reduced in size due to worsening climatic conditions, i.e. the weath worsening to the point that regular longship traffic wasn't possible anymore.

Lost due to: changing climate, fewer food sources, possible pirate raids from Portuguese whalers. Also possible the black death, if not directly, then indirectly by isolating Greenland from the rest of the European world...

btw: they didnt use longships in the north atlantic they relied on a type of merchant ship called a Knarr... 

Viking

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on April 05, 2010, 12:30:00 AM

Quite the contrary, the Vikings that had moved to Iceland and later Greenland did so to get away from the "state"...

Erik The Red, the leader of the Greenland Colonists was condemned as an Outlaw, which in Iceland and Norway meant anybody could kill him without legal issues. Erik The Red managed this feat in both Norway and Iceland. He was running from the relatives of his victims. The other settlers were usually landless free men or free men owning marginal land. To the best of anybodies knowledge there were never more than 20-40 norsemen and women in Newfoundland. They only had two knörr (large seaworthy seagoing boats) to carry the entire party. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on April 05, 2010, 12:51:40 AM

Lost due to: changing climate, fewer food sources, possible pirate raids from Portuguese whalers. Also possible the black death, if not directly, then indirectly by isolating Greenland from the rest of the European world...

btw: they didnt use longships in the north atlantic they relied on a type of merchant ship called a Knarr...

Possible pirate raids from Portuguese whalers? Any sources except Thor Heyerdahl?

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 05, 2010, 03:35:23 AM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on April 05, 2010, 12:51:40 AM

Possible pirate raids from Portuguese whalers? Any sources except Thor Heyerdahl?

Nope, just mentioned the popular theories...

Viking

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 05, 2010, 03:35:23 AM

There are No sources blaming Portugese or Basque whalers for the exctinction of the colony. Most likely it was starvation due to agricultural failure. The reason why there is speculation about pirates is that Iceland during the same period 1300s-1400s was hit very hard by English Pirates (called by Icelandic sources Vikings). English was probably a common name for all fishermen/pirates operating in the area. The English did burn down quite a bit of farmsteads and kill alot of people (probably more than the entire norse population of greenland) in iceland itself. These fisheries wars were eventually ended when the Kalmar King actually sent ships.

I think the basic reasoning is as follows. English fishermen operated around Iceland and conducted pirate raids. Basque whalers operated around greenland and .....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I read an interesting book called The Frozen Echo about the Greenland colonies and their demise.  Her thesis was I think one of two things: either the surviving Greenlanders were indeed captured by European pirates or that they attempted to emigrate en masse to Vinland but either died on the way or were massacred/enslaved by Native Americans once they arrived.  I'm pretty sure she very strongly argued against their demise being related to starvation.  I read this book about a decade ago, which is why I'm having trouble remembering details.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points