Viking longships, were they really that combat effective?

Started by Siege, April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 03, 2010, 12:09:33 AM
Frankly, the example Jimmy has Pict is incorrect.  What Olaf!  I am surprised he even Daned to post it.  The Angles are all wrong. The ships as drawn -- rather Slavenly I might add -- could never stand up to a Gael in open ocean.  The Franks, who should be in terror, are making no attempt to seek Mercia.  I could point out Moor errors, but I just Kent go on right now.

Get a Leif.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Agelastus

Quote from: Siege on April 03, 2010, 07:01:46 PM
Hey Tim, link me to that cartoon.

The Manga the picture of the Vikings carrying longships is from is this one, I believe.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/vinland_saga/

Tim'll have to give you the chapter reference.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Faeelin

Quote from: Warspite on April 03, 2010, 05:51:19 AM
Frankly, the example Jimmy has Pict is incorrect.  What Olaf!  I am surprised he even Daned to post it.  The Angles are all wrong. The ships as drawn -- rather Slavenly I might add -- could never stand up to a Gael in open ocean.  The Franks, who should be in terror, are making no attempt to seek Mercia.  I could point out Moor errors, but I just Kent go on right now.

Get a Leif.

Cuman, these jokes are just awful.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 03, 2010, 07:11:40 PM

The Manga the picture of the Vikings carrying longships is from is this one, I believe.

It's from one of the first chapters, it's an awesome manga.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Reading this makes me cringe with embarrassment. But then I remember how Manga depicts other non-japanese cultures.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on April 03, 2010, 11:32:01 PM

Reading this makes me cringe with embarrassment. But then I remember how Manga depicts other non-japanese cultures.
-_- I think it's probably the most accurate manga about a pre-modern non-Japanese culture I've seen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Yeah, basically how we depict Asian culture. Only crazier.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: Faeelin on April 03, 2010, 10:37:31 PM

Get a Leif.

I Canute understand them.

Agelastus

I wouldn't know; I've read a few pages, and that is all. I didn't like it much. The art style is distinctive enough that I recognised it from Tim's post though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on April 04, 2010, 04:53:53 AM

Get a Leif.

Nor I.  I think it is written in Norse Code.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2010, 07:00:25 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 04, 2010, 04:53:53 AM

Get a Leif.

Nor I.  I think it is written in Norse Code.

They starting to Rune this thread.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Faeelin