Viking longships, were they really that combat effective?

Started by Siege, April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

This thread should be put into a time capsule, so that future generations will have the answer to the question "what was the archtypical Languish thread?"

Kudos to all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Queequeg

I don't know if I really play as big a part on Languish as I do specifically on this thread.  Also, there's no Martinus.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Good point, Spellus.  This thread needs more faggotry.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2010, 04:29:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2010, 03:51:15 PM
The Byzantines could shoot fireballs out their arse.

I haven't had Indian food in a while. :mmm:

I've ate Indian tacos a couple times.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on April 02, 2010, 12:27:44 PM
Which one are you referring to? But more importantly did the Vikings stop being Vikings? Was it when they stopped bathing and started eating goose livers?
The Normans didn't speak, pray, fight, rule, eat, or build buildings like 9th Century Scandinavians.  They might have used similar ships for a while (as seen in the Bayeux tapestry), but I think that is the extent of the relationship besides a few nautical terms and some genetic background.  In my mind they have about the same relationship with Vikings that the Mitanni did with Indo-Aryans, or the French do with the Franks.

I think there's a more convincing argument to be made that some of the early Rurikid Princedoms might fairly be considered hybridized Viking, but I think the Normans are largely unrecognizable, though, as mentioned, their nautical inclinations come from the Viking side of the family.

Well the 10th, 11th and 12th century vikings didn't pray (asatru vs christianity), eat (christianity meant more fish), fight (the organized armies of the 10th century raiders and the 11th century kings were not the same as the 9th century pirates) or rule like 9th century vikings (9th century local kings, 10th century sea kings, 11th century national kings). To the best of our knowledge they didn't really speak like them either. 9th century old norse is probably less similar to the west norse of the 13th century sagas than modern icelandic is to the west norse of the 13th century sagas. But we don't know. 

What you are saying is that when Vikings settled (ie took land) they adapted the tactics which were used by their sea king predecessors and used the tactics best suited to fighting their local opponents from a fixed base. Is that correct?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2010, 10:43:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 10:33:43 AM
That's why

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
They're attacking a besieged Frankish fortified town abutting an inland lake. They sailed up a river and are transporting their boats to the lake. The town is unfortified on that side so they're fucked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Minsky Moment

Frankly, the example Jimmy has Pict is incorrect.  What Olaf!  I am surprised he even Daned to post it.  The Angles are all wrong. The ships as drawn -- rather Slavenly I might add -- could never stand up to a Gael in open ocean.  The Franks, who should be in terror, are making no attempt to seek Mercia.  I could point out Moor errors, but I just Kent go on right now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 10:55:51 PMThey're attacking a besieged Frankish fortified town abutting an inland lake. They sailed up a river and are transporting their boats to the lake. The town is unfortified on that side so they're fucked.

I think after carrying the boats that far that the Vikings will be fucked.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2010, 06:29:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2010, 04:29:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2010, 03:51:15 PM
The Byzantines could shoot fireballs out their arse.

I haven't had Indian food in a while. :mmm:

I've ate Indian tacos a couple times.

Do they shave?  I always pictured Indian "tacos" to be extremely bushy.

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on April 02, 2010, 05:51:06 PM
This thread should be put into a time capsule, so that future generations will have the answer to the question "what was the archtypical Languish thread?"

Kudos to all.

needs moar American Civil War. :yes:

Viking

Quote from: Strix on April 03, 2010, 12:13:14 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2010, 10:55:51 PMThey're attacking a besieged Frankish fortified town abutting an inland lake. They sailed up a river and are transporting their boats to the lake. The town is unfortified on that side so they're fucked.

I think after carrying the boats that far that the Vikings will be fucked.

The boats were not lifted, they were dragged across land.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 03, 2010, 12:09:33 AM
Frankly, the example Jimmy has Pict is incorrect.  What Olaf!  I am surprised he even Daned to post it.  The Angles are all wrong. The ships as drawn -- rather Slavenly I might add -- could never stand up to a Gael in open ocean.  The Franks, who should be in terror, are making no attempt to seek Mercia.  I could point out Moor errors, but I just Kent go on right now.

Nice spelling, Tim.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.