Viking longships, were they really that combat effective?

Started by Siege, April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I'm navally challenged. I really don't get naval warfare. However, to my untrained eyes, viking longships don't seem that combat effective. Byzantine dromons had far more rowers, marines on board, and even catapults and/or ballistras.

Longships seem to me like greatly overrated. They were no doubt superb transport ships, and could land infantry anywhere, even upstream through rivers, but as far as ship to ship combat, any mediterranean galley would probably beat the shit out of them.

So, what gives?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

Easy to maintain, low in resources to build, capable of navigating the roughest seas or the tightest rivers.
The Med galley would flounder and die long before the chance for closing with the longship comes.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 AM
So, what gives?

As people have said, different combat environment.

Although a Byzantine Dromon does not have more marines - most of the rowers would not have been armed, whereas every single Viking would have been able to drop his oar and take up shield and axe or sword. An early example of the difference between tactics based around boarding and those based around ramming/sinking.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Siege

Yeah, but the vikings didn't limit themselves to the North Sea.
They raided the med in many occasions, and in the East, they followed the rivers from the Baltic to the Black Sea.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

:huh:

I don't think the Vikings actually used their longships to fight naval battles, did they?  I believe they were just used as transports, and the advantage as others have already stated had to do with their navigability and small draft.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

QuoteI don't think the Vikings actually used their longships to fight naval battles, did they?  I believe they were just used as transports, and the advantage as others have already stated had to do with their navigability and small draft.
Battle is too big a term, fights tended to be a handfull of ships at most but they certainly happened. Many made a living from pirating trade ships rather than just land raiding (though I suppose then they stop being vikings and become just pirates if we're getting into word meanings and all that)

Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2010, 07:20:01 AM
Yeah, but the vikings didn't limit themselves to the North Sea.
They raided the med in many occasions, and in the East, they followed the rivers from the Baltic to the Black Sea.

So you're suggesting as soon as they get into the open Black/Mediterranian they should stop for a year and build themselves a galley?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Let's ask grumber about his experiences with longships.

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 AM
I'm navally challenged. I really don't get naval warfare. However, to my untrained eyes, viking longships don't seem that combat effective. Byzantine dromons had far more rowers, marines on board, and even catapults and/or ballistras.

Longships seem to me like greatly overrated. They were no doubt superb transport ships, and could land infantry anywhere, even upstream through rivers, but as far as ship to ship combat, any mediterranean galley would probably beat the shit out of them.

So, what gives?

You are not completely wrong. God I can't believe I just said that.

It's been a looong time since I read about Vikings, but IIRC check out the Viking attempt on Constantinople in 860. But of course longships may not be the best word for the ships they used on the rivers in the East.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

If you put a long ship vs a galley in a fishpond, the galley would sink the long ship.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2010, 07:26:24 AM
:huh:

I don't think the Vikings actually used their longships to fight naval battles, did they?  I believe they were just used as transports, and the advantage as others have already stated had to do with their navigability and small draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svolder

Caliga

Whoops, guess I stand corrected.  So were they commonly used in that capacity?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Lucidor on April 02, 2010, 09:03:58 AM
If you put a long ship vs a galley in a fishpond, the galley would sink the long ship.
Every fight I can think of between the Byzantine Navy and the Rus' or other Vikings resulted in Byzantine victory.  I don't think the Vikings generally did very well at all against centralized states with developed navies; there weren't that many raids on Islamic Spain, either.  They were probably fair fighters, and highly militarized, but I don't think they had the same kind of success against semi-professional armies that the Normans or Turks later would. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2010, 09:12:33 AM
Whoops, guess I stand corrected.  So were they commonly used in that capacity?

They were not common.  The long ship was the ultimate multipurpose vessel of the age.  They could strike anywhere without warning.  If you can land in a shallow cove or travel up a river to attack there is no need to engage any defenders in a naval battle.  But sometimes sea battles did occur.

IIRC another such battle was fought by either Rollo or a descendant shortly after Normandy was established to chase away Danish raiders from the Normandy coastline.