News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bad Translator

Started by Syt, April 03, 2010, 04:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

...10 translations later we get:

"Remember the Sabbath spirit. 6 days of work and work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God. Indeed, it can work: You or your son or daughter, or agents, or male or female cattle, servants, you and your home to strangers. Since the six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, everything is today, 7 Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath holy. "

25 translations later we get:

"Remember that the spirit of Shabbat. 6 days and project work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In fact it works: You are the son or daughter, or employee, male or female, to work on their own with strangers. In six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea already, because the Lord blessed the Sabbath day 7"

...54 translations later we get:

"Did not sadvrn 06 on Sabbath, God does not forget God's Spirit, on Saturday. Daughter, or maid, man or woman who does not know himself. Six days in the sea, sky and earth, the holy Sabbath, Lord, 7"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2010, 07:55:43 AM
"I am in Egypt, bondage my Lord, your God. I am interested in God."

Sounds like a Craigslist ad. :P

Syt

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you."

"Honor your father and mother, his life will continue to land the Lord your God gives you."

...25 translations later we get:

"Honor thy father and thy mother, the Lord your God in your life."

"Tipperari father and mother to God in your life."

It's a long way to Tipperary.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

"Under the rule of law, they found the ring between them are still in the dark."

"While the rule of law on the tires before dawn."

"Even for Bill J."

I knew Bill the Pony was the real villain of the story!

Syt

"You shall not murder."

"Do not kill."

"Dead."

"Hakufa."

That one was fun to watch ... it went from "Don't kill" to "KilL" to "dead" to "he is dead" to "not dead" and eventually to "Hakufa"(?).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

"You shall not commit adultery."

"Do not commit adultery."

"We do not commit adultery."

"Never married"

Well, I guess that's one way to solve this. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2010, 08:10:13 AM
"You shall not murder."

"Do not kill."

"Dead."

"Hakufa."

That one was fun to watch ... it went from "Don't kill" to "KilL" to "dead" to "he is dead" to "not dead" and eventually to "Hakufa"(?).

The funny thing is that most of the stuff people get from the Bible actually is a result of such translation. :P

Syt

"You shall not steal."

"Do not steal."

"You shall not steal." (lucky, I guess)

"You can play." (In between it was "Please feel free to steal.")
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2010, 05:23:17 AM
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man. "
Interesting.  I've never heard the second part of that quote before.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2010, 08:13:03 AM
The funny thing is that most of the stuff people get from the Bible actually is a result of such translation. :P

Yeah, my Latin professor (who also knew Old Greek) said that we should imagine the original New Testament to be written in everyday language, maybe with a bit of yiddish influence. Of course, as it was a Holy Text(tm) people began translating it as literal as possible, instead of translating it adequately.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."

""Do not allow your neighbor to testify falsely." That, too.

""Do not let violence, as witnesses."

"Managing violence in the"
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2010, 08:15:21 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2010, 05:23:17 AM
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man. "
Interesting.  I've never heard the second part of that quote before.

Full speech is here:
http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/jfk-inaug.htm
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is abomination." = Homosexuality is a sin

"Do not sleep in the men to offend women." = Homosexuality is wrong only when one is cheating on one's wife or girlfriend.

"Does not hurt to sleep on the men and women." = Homosexuality and heterosexuality are acceptable.

"Women and men in bed, good." = Homosexuality and heterosexuality are actually good.

Bible actually starts making sense when you put it through that thing. :D

Syt

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's."

"I do not want my neighbor's house, I did not want his neighbor's wife or children, male and female servant, nor his Kaunas, his ox or donkey, or people." Why Kaunas?

"I did not want neighbors, good neighbors, I have a wife and children and men in Kaunas, or ox or donkey, or the people in the service of women."

"Conus Neighborhoods with his wife and two Cows and left, a male and female souls I graduated"

Well, I will enjoy my time in hell. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2010, 08:20:58 AM
"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's."

"I do not want my neighbor's house, I did not want his neighbor's wife or children, male and female servant, nor his Kaunas, his ox or donkey, or people." Why Kaunas?

"I did not want neighbors, good neighbors, I have a wife and children and men in Kaunas, or ox or donkey, or the people in the service of women."

"Conus Neighborhoods with his wife and two Cows and left, a male and female souls I graduated"

Well, I will enjoy my time in hell. :)

I love the third line here. It's like a rant :D