Gardeners gird for annual face-off with rabbits

Started by Ed Anger, April 01, 2010, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2010, 02:00:20 PM
Of course, we're both just joking around.  Although a breeding pair of lynx would do wonders to keep the rabbit population down, since that is their main source of food.

I say you import a pair and we'll find out what happens.   :ph34r:
Americans are incapable of living with predators.  They find carnivores to be sinful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

:yes: You can shoot coyotes year-round down here.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2010, 02:17:31 PM
:yes: You can shoot coyotes year-round down here.  :cool:
And that's why you have too many rabbits.

Yet another Made-In-America failure.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Because I was curious...

If you have a valid big game hunting license, you can hunt and shoot coyotes (they are classified as a fur-bearing animal).  You can not hunt or shoot other fur bearing animals like lynx unless you have a trapping license.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

A significant amount of livestock is raised in this state, which probably explains the lack of protection for coyotes.  I live within about a quarter of a mile of a cattle farm, and there are even a few alpaca farms here (which I think are raised for their wool).

Barrister

Coyotes won't typically go after cattle though.   :huh:

Caliga

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Caliga

Dude, I dunno, I was merely pointing out that I live near a cattle farm as part of my point that there are livestock farms here.  I believe there is a fair bit of chicken farming here, too.  I saw some UK Cooperative Extension video on the "coyote problem" once and all these hick farmers were bitching about coyotes and how they kept killing livestock.

Razgovory

They can bring down a fairly good size calve.  500 pounds.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Barrister

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.