News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehrie

Mine has been recreated under Craig Pearce.

ulmont

Ok, it begins.  The initial CB boards have been emailed and the ACTS game has been started.  We will track cards and dice on ACTS, and use CB to send out file updates after each move so it doesn't get all fucked up, much like the Napoleonic Wars game is running.

Initial hand sizes:

Ottoman = 3 (key) + 0 (suleiman + 0 (saved) = 3
Hapsburgs = 5 (key) + 0 (charles) + 0 (saved) = 5
England = 2 (key) + 1 (henry) + 0 (saved) = 3
France = 3 (key) + 1 (francis) + 0 (saved) = 4
Papacy = 3 (key) + 0 (leo) + 0 (saved) = 3
Protestant = 4 (electorates) + 0 (luther) + 0 (saved) = 4*

*I'm going to have to figure out how it runs 95 Theses again, so there may be a bit of weirdness.

ehrie

I await diplomats from France and the land of the chin in my PM box. :)

Berkut

I suggest everyone IM the Ottoman player their choices for Diet cards, then the Ottoman can resolve it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

95 Theses attempts.  In summary:

Converted:

Brandenburg, Magdeburg, Leipzig, Erfurt.

Failed:

Lubeck.

In detail:

QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 4

Message from Protestant:
95 Theses attempt 1/5. Targeting Brandenburg.

1 adjacent protestant space (wittenberg)
1 adjacent stack (wittenberg)
1 adjacent reformer (luther, wittenberg)
1 for 95 theses
=
4 Protestant dice
QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 6

Message from Protestant:
(brandenburg converted, protestant 6 and wins ties)

95 Theses Reformation 2/5

2 from adjacent protestant spaces (brandenburg, wittenberg)
2 from adjacent protestant land units (brandenburg, wittenberg)
1 from adjacent reformer (luther)
1 from 95 theses
=
6 Protestant dice.

Message from Protestant:
(Magdeburg converted; Protestant 6 and wins ties)

95 Theses attempt 3/5, targeting Lubeck.

2 from adjacent protestant spaces (magdeburg, brandenburg)
1 from adjacent protestant land unit (brandenburg)
1 from 95 theses
=
4 protestant dice.
QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 2

Message from Protestant:
95 Theses attempt 3/5, targeting Lubeck, Papal dice (Protestants have a 3)

2 dice from adjacent spaces (Hamburg, Stettin)
=
2 Papal dice.

Message from Protestant:
Lubeck stays Catholic.

95 Theses attempt 4/5, targeting Leipzig.

1 adjacent space (Wittenberg)
1 reformer (Luther, Wittenberg)
1 adjacent land stack (Wittenberg)
1 from 95 Theses
=
4 Protestant dice.
QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 3

Message from Protestant:
Leipzig converted (win-on-ties 6)

95 Theses attempt 5/5, targeting Erfurt.

2 from adjacent spaces (Magdeburg, Leipzig)
1 from 95 Theses
=
3 Protestant dice.
QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 1

Message from Protestant:
Erfurt, Papal dice (Protestant highest is 3)

1 from adjacent spaces (Kassel)
=
1 Papal die.

A move file has been sent, but I forgot to update the Protestant spaces count.  If the next person to muck with the CB could update that (now 5) and the VP (+1 Protestant, -1 Papacy), that would be good.

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 10:20:14 AM
I suggest everyone IM the Ottoman player their choices for Diet cards, then the Ottoman can resolve it.

Diet card sent to Habbaku.

Habbaku

Just need Del's Diet commitment and we're good to go.

England (Ehrie) should not let this halt his initial negotiations with France (Tamas) or the Habsburgs (Del) however, to keep things speedy.

Also, if you believe your spring deployment will not be affected in the least by what happens between now and my initial impulse, feel free to post it.

Ottoman SD : 6 regulars, 1 cavalry, Suleiman and Ibrahim to Nezh.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Wow, I guess that worked out pretty well for Ulmont, huh?

QuoteOttoman: Die roll request

Request: 6-sided die x 13

Message from Ottoman:
And the Diet commitments are locked in.

Protestants are using Treachery (5)
Papacy is using Mercenaries Bribed (3)
Habsburgs are using Venetian Informant (1)

Protestants get 9 dice, Papacy gets 4. Protestants first.

7 hits vice 0 hits for the Papacy.  Ulmont gets to pick 7 spaces.  An early surge for the Protestants!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Everyone should play their respective card at some point for the discard.

Now we're up for the English diplomacy with the others.  Again, though, post your SD if it's unaffected (most likely the Papacy and Habsburgs).

This early surge by the Protestants is likely going to result in a very quin run for the electorates, assuming that Ulmont doesn't just take all of them.  The Papacy is going to have a rough time containing such an early movement--so anyone holding Schmalkaldic League should be very eager to play it quick so that the Protestants don't get too much territory.  Then again, maybe they can make a deal with the Protties to hold it for a bit longer?

Remember, all diplomacy that is not in the diplomacy phase must be open and public to everyone.  Keep any wheeling and dealing posted here, as it will be more fun for all involved.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Converted from the Diet:

Brunswick
Kassel
Mainz
Trier
Koln
Worms
Augsburg

I updated the spaces / VPs on ACTS and sent around a move file.

Quote from: HabbakuThis early surge by the Protestants is likely going to result in a very quin run for the electorates, assuming that Ulmont doesn't just take all of them.

I just took all of them.

Berkut

Wow.

OK, how do we stop an early Prot win? Counter-reformation is almost useless until I get a new Pope.

Del...you gotta stomp on him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on April 10, 2009, 01:14:03 PM
I just took all of them.

Can't say I'm surprised.   :D

I just hope that if someone was dealt the League card that they'll play it now and give the Habsburgs some interesting choices...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 01:21:18 PM
OK, how do we stop an early Prot win? Counter-reformation is almost useless until I get a new Pope.

Well, he hasn't won yet.  Nowhere near it, in fact.  An early surge of taking all the electorates certainly gives him a nice base of support in Germany, mind you, but even with that he did just drop a 5 point card into the Diet.  He has no Bibles translated and rather few actual, Protestant spaces.  He still needs to branch out to France to cement a win.

Which gives Del plenty of time to smush an electorate (or two, or three...) before things get out of hand.  You just need the League to form up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

OK, how do we stop an early Prot win?

I'm still like 38 spaces away from a win, guys.

Del...you gotta stomp on him.

The depth of the Hapsburg commitment to the Catholic cause was, as usual, made obvious by the traditional use of "Venetian Informant" for the Diet of Worms.