And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on July 28, 2009, 07:32:01 PM
Quote from: ehrie on July 28, 2009, 07:20:05 PM
It's also really dependent on drawing 3 CP+ cards of which I didn't draw many in turns 6 and 7. Also woulda been nice if the Prottys could have won a debate or two in England instead of getting steamrolled every time.

:bleeding:

Yes, then I would have won a religious auto-victory...I was 5 spaces away :cry:

I help the Peasants Revolt for a couple turns, just in case I needed to stop a late win by you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on July 28, 2009, 09:38:23 PM
I help the Peasants Revolt for a couple turns, just in case I needed to stop a late win by you.

It really is a devastating card if played properly (by an anti-Protestant player).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Congratulations to Habs on the win, but he didn't seem to need to play that well, most of the players never cared about what needs to be done to stop the Ottomans and I certainly didn't produce enough of a threat with my own play. The alliance with the Protestants to target Antwerp, that was cool though.

In my view Berk played an inspired Papacy and probably needed to play better to almost win.

Given that very few of the players looked interested in long-term play I'm surprised the game lasted seven turns. Overall the way people approached this game has had a negative effect on my appreciation of Here I Stand.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ehrie

Quote from: Delirium on July 29, 2009, 05:11:35 AM
Congratulations to Habs on the win, but he didn't seem to need to play that well, most of the players never cared about what needs to be done to stop the Ottomans and I certainly didn't produce enough of a threat with my own play. The alliance with the Protestants to target Antwerp, that was cool though.

In my view Berk played an inspired Papacy and probably needed to play better to almost win.

Given that very few of the players looked interested in long-term play I'm surprised the game lasted seven turns. Overall the way people approached this game has had a negative effect on my appreciation of Here I Stand.

That doesn't seemto make much sense. In order of play turn:

Habbaku - Won so yes, he played a really really good game.
Del - Can't really see what you did wrong either. Surrendering Austria was tough, but all the people around you took turns being on the brink of winning.
Me - I had one chance to win and went for it. Can't really see what I did wrong. I never had cards that could negativly affect any player all game.
Tamas - He played a kind of passive France, sure, but I find it hard as France to make war on anybody because it's so easy for another player to stab you in the back.
Berkut - He played awesome, IMO. To be so far down and come to the brink of victory was very impressive
Ulmont - I mean, what else did you want from him? He had sickeningly luck early on, why wouldn't you try and capitalize on that?

Berkut

Well, to be fair to Del, the hapsburgs have a very hard job in HiS. While they have a great shot at winning, they are hard pressed to balance all the things they need to do.

However, I do not agree that others did little to stop the Ottomans - quite honestly, the only one who can really stop the Ottomans is the Hapsburgs. He can get some help with fleet loans and such, and certainly people should be doing that, but the onus is on him, and of course people will use those fleet loans as bargaining chips.

ANd Jeromey is really, really good at playing the Ottomans. It is a tough road to beat him, and I actually think that most everyone played a decent game. HiS among good players comes down to timing, luck, and recognizing when the timing is right to do something big.

What ehrie said about France is true - it is hard for them to go to war with others - but that doesn't mean they should not - it just means they need to be very careful about their timing. In fact, I would say that barring some amazing luck, France cannot win without a war.

Timing is everything. Jeromey won, but most of the other players could have won, and Jeromey won because he was able to get the cards and dice he needed when he needed them - and he set himself up so that that opportunity would present itself.

I think I did the same thing - but it didn't fall my way this time. It was still a lot of fun.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I saw today that GMT is making a sequel to this game called "Virgin Queen" that goes from 1559 - 1598. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Yeah, I've been helping play-test it off and on.  It's a lot more involved and I think a lot of the sub-systems need to be excised from the game.  Of course, it's only at version .4 or something by now, so there's plenty of time to fix it.

One of the largest problems seems to be the attempt to force it to be a 6-player game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 02:07:43 PM
I saw today that GMT is making a sequel to this game called "Virgin Queen" that goes from 1559 - 1598. :)

Yes the sequel has been in production for a while. They just finally added it to their PS500 list for pre-order.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.