News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

You do not have to retreat to a port, you can retreat to adjacent sea zone as well. I suggest Barbary Coast, since he did not leave a ship behind to lock you out of it. That would allow you to take piracy losses from your remaining ships.

Although he isn't likely to pirate you again anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

Ah, in that case I retreat to Barbary Coast, wasn't aware of that rule.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

The Habsburg fleet put up a decent fight, but is now down to 1 squadron.  The remaining Ottoman navy is in Gulf of Lyon.

Off to Berkut for his final play (he can't hold any cards), then Ulmont?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Passing out.  I'm holding a 1 CP card and I can't do anything with it.

Berkut

2CPs to CR in Germany, flipped 1 space, and I am done.

27 VPs, up to Habs to see if he can beat it with piracy.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

And I did, with the aid of my home card and some decent piracy rolls.  My attempt against Tamas nabbed me a VP, but my try for it in Barbary was a big whiff.

Fortunately, the Tyrrhenian Sea piracy netted 3 more hits--giving me 3 VPs since the Habsburgs are out of cards and squadrons to absorb the hits.

I played Servetus as my final play, bringing me to 29 VPs to Berkut's 27.

Osmani uber alles.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ehrie

Grats on the win Habbaku, well played. You also have my rapeage last turn to thank for it. :P

ulmont

3 months and 19 days, 7 turns.  Not bad.

Berkut

I thought I had a good shot once we extended to turn 7.

Freaking Habs. We should play any HiS game he is in as if he was France in Nappy Wars. Everyone spends the first 3 turns smacking him down, THEN go back to playing for VPs.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on July 28, 2009, 02:29:00 PM

Oh, yeah, I thought you had it.

Freaking Habs. We should play any HiS game he is in as if he was France in Nappy Wars. Everyone spends the first 3 turns smacking him down, THEN go back to playing for VPs.

:yes:

ehrie

Well, I came with in one roddy conversion in England from winning in Turn 5. Meh.

Habbaku

And now you know why I enjoy playing the Papacy so much.  If the game goes that late (and it generally will if players are cooperative about knocking down the leaders every turn), then their chance to win skyrockets.  Those late-game debaters allow you to easily one-two punch the hapless Protestants in France and England.

I've still won under those circumstances.  Or are you forgetting about NBW?   ;)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: ehrie on July 28, 2009, 03:48:11 PM
Well, I came with in one roddy conversion in England from winning in Turn 5. Meh.

England's best chance is precisely when you took it; you shouldn't feel bad about it failing.  In general, the English chance of winning is considered to be one of the lower ones as their strengths are in the early game--when they have relatively few cards to take advantage of it.

The crap-shoot of their heir roll is another failing point for them, unfortunately.  It could be 5 CPs or as many as 25 spent to get those 5 VPs--creating a giant divergence in experiences between those extremes.

I think the sequel game, The Virgin Queen, will likely take a lot of these minor niggles into account.  I suppose I'll find out in a few days when Ed Beach gives his seminar.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ehrie

It's also really dependent on drawing 3 CP+ cards of which I didn't draw many in turns 6 and 7. Also woulda been nice if the Prottys could have won a debate or two in England instead of getting steamrolled every time.

ulmont

Quote from: ehrie on July 28, 2009, 07:20:05 PM
It's also really dependent on drawing 3 CP+ cards of which I didn't draw many in turns 6 and 7. Also woulda been nice if the Prottys could have won a debate or two in England instead of getting steamrolled every time.

:bleeding:

Yes, then I would have won a religious auto-victory...I was 5 spaces away :cry: