News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Allawi's Party Wins in Iraq

Started by Admiral Yi, March 26, 2010, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

QuoteBaghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- Ayad Allawi's Iraqiya coalition won the most seats in Iraq's parliamentary elections, according to results issued Friday by Iraqi election officials.

Allawi's bloc edged out Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's State of Law coalition by two seats in the final count of Iraq's March 7 national election for the 325-member parliament, the officials said.

Allawi's bloc won 91 seats and the State of Law coalition gained 89. The Iraqi National Alliance, dominated by Shiite parties, got 70 seats and a Kurdish alliance got 43.

Now Allawi needs to begin the tough work of gathering at least 163 seats to forge a coalition government.

Allawi, who served as prime minister in 2004, is a secular Shiite whose bloc includes prominent Sunni Arab politicians, including Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi.

Al-Maliki has asked for a manual recount as members of his State of Law coalition and other blocs have alleged voter fraud as the margin of votes separating the candidates has narrowed.

He has pledged to appeal the results to the federal court.

"The electoral commission refused our demand for a manual recount and insisted on refusing despite the demand of the president and my demands as a prime minister and the commander in chief of the armed forces," al-Maliki told reporters. "The reasons behind their refusal were unknown."

In a joint statement, U.S. Ambassador Christopher R. Hill and Gen. Ray Odierno, commanding general of U.S. forces in Iraq, congratulated the Independent High Electoral Commission on completing the vote counting.

"With today's announcement, Iraq successfully passed another milestone in this historic electoral process," they said. "We support the findings of international and independent Iraqi observers, who have affirmed their confidence in the overall integrity of the election and have found that there is no evidence of widespread or serious fraud."

That view was echoed by U.S. State Department spokesman Philip J. Crowley. Though the electoral commission has investigated and adjudicated a number of complaints, "international observers and the more than 200,000 domestic observers expressed their confidence in the overall integrity of the election and have found that there is no evidence of widespread or serious fraud," he said.

But the process is expected to take months, he said. Political entities may appeal to the Electoral Judicial Panel. After the appeals have been resolved, Iraq's Federal Supreme Court will certify the results. "Iraq will then move to seating a new Council of Representatives, choosing a president and forming a new government," Crowley said.

He called for all candidates and parties to accept the results, "refrain from inflammatory rhetoric and intimidation" and work to form a new government.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/03/26/iraq.election/index.html?hpt=T2

I'm glad Allawi won, but I don't see who he's supposed to form a coalition with.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2010, 05:56:22 PM
I'm glad Allawi won, but I don't see who he's supposed to form a coalition with.
My guess is the Kurds.  al-Maliki could be a very effective opposition leader, if he keeps his cool.  He irritated a lot of people by being a powerful Prime Minister, and could be one again, if he plays the game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Fate

State of Law (Maliki's party) + National Iraqi Alliance (Sadr and friends) + Kurdish List could hold a majority.

Iraqi Election Goes Dwon to the Wire

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2010, 06:50:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2010, 06:49:07 PM
My guess is the Kurds.
Which gets him to 134 out of 163.
True, but then it is just picking off members of poorly-organized "parties" to get the last few votes.  There are only three real parties in the elections; the rest were just coalitions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Maliki now has the opportunity to do his country the greatest service ever. Conceding the election. I suspect that Allawi, Maliki and non-Reform Kurds make a deal.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on March 26, 2010, 07:04:17 PM
State of Law (Maliki's party) + National Iraqi Alliance (Sadr and friends) + Kurdish List could hold a majority.
True, but they don't get a chance until Alawi concedes defeat, and he won't deal with the Sadr alliance. I don't see a real problem for Alawi to form a government.

A unity government is also possible.  Alawi is nothing if not a pragmatist, and al-Maliki has overall been known for pragmatism.

Bayraktar!

Martinus

I'm curious why all these guys are named Al.

Camerus

IIRC, it has to do with the popularity of Married with Children in the late '80's and '90s.

Ohhh, Al!

Martinus

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

It was that documentary that taught me about America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.