South Korean navy ship sinking near North - possibly torpedoed

Started by Brazen, March 26, 2010, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2010, 11:43:17 AM
Is it : war?
I rather imagine not.  Naval clashes happen all the time.  Neither side has the stones for a real war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2010, 12:31:41 PM
Kim'n'Tim is a better title for marketing.
You know, I actually meant to write The Kim and I... weird how I ended up typing "The Tim and I" instead.  But they both kinda work.

Would Tim be played by: Jodie Foster.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

North Korea is a menace that has to be dealt with. I wish Japan would assume a more active role in suppressign them.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 26, 2010, 01:18:22 PM
North Korea is a menace that has to be dealt with. I wish Japan would assume a more active role in suppressign them.
Japan is even less able to deal with them than anybody else.  Kim has had them cowed with the threat of radiological attack for years now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2010, 01:05:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2010, 12:31:41 PM
Kim'n'Tim is a better title for marketing.
You know, I actually meant to write The Kim and I... weird how I ended up typing "The Tim and I" instead.  But they both kinda work.

Would Tim be played by: Jodie Foster.

There's a John Hinckley joke in there somewhere.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2010, 12:11:54 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 26, 2010, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2010, 10:56:16 AM
Well, shit.

I can't remember, where in Korea are you?  Are you going to be killed in the initial artillery bombardment of Seoul or would it take a massive zerg rush to reach you?
I'm 40 minutes westsouthwest of Suwon by bus, close to the
coast. So, south of Seoul by a decent bit.
It would take a while for them to get here.

So sometime on day 3 then, assuming the North Koreans are actually capable of pulling off an assault in accord with the old Soviet handbook? Or maybe day 4 - I'm having trouble estimating the distance properly on my computer screen.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: Josephus on March 26, 2010, 12:42:57 PM
Come on. Since when does the sinking of a ship precipitate full US involvement in a war? Sheesh.

:huh:

1898 & 1917  ;)

Neil

Strix

Quote from: dps on March 26, 2010, 08:29:22 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 26, 2010, 12:42:57 PM
Come on. Since when does the sinking of a ship precipitate full US involvement in a war? Sheesh.

:huh:

1898 & 1917  ;)

You forget August of 1964!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I can't help but keep thinking about my buddy Joey's battalion commander when he was stationed in South Korea;  the guy had managed to score an old ROK M113, and had welded two bulldozer scoops together in front of it as a cowcatcher to plow through all the refugees, because when the balloon goes up, everybody's hauling ass to Pusan.

Now that, my friends, is combat contingency planning.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 27, 2010, 03:33:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2010, 01:58:37 AM
Meh this shit happens all the time.
No it doesn't.

It happened 8 years ago.  Three years before that the South sank two Northern ships.  Last year the South shot up a Northern ship.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2010, 04:17:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 27, 2010, 03:33:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2010, 01:58:37 AM
Meh this shit happens all the time.
No it doesn't.

It happened 8 years ago.  Three years before that the South sank two Northern ships.  Last year the South shot up a Northern ship.
Given the death toll this would be the worst incident since 1968.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point