South Korean navy ship sinking near North - possibly torpedoed

Started by Brazen, March 26, 2010, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteSouth Korean navy ship 'sinking'

A South Korean navy ship with about 100 personnel on board is sinking off the west coast near North Korea, possibly due to a torpedo attack, reports say.

The ship was sinking near Baengnyeong island, Yonhap news agency quoted navy officials as saying.

It also said the South Korean ship had fired shots toward an unidentified ship in the North. The incident has not been confirmed by government officials.

A rescue operation was said to be under way, amid fears for the sailors.

The 1,500-tonne ship began sinking about 2130 local time (1230 GMT).

The South Korean government has convened an emergency meeting, according to the officials.

The South Korean ministry of defence has not confirmed the reports of North Korean involvement.

The disputed sea boundary is a source of continuing tension, with incidents in January and February.

In January, North Korea fired artillery into the sea near the disputed maritime border, as part of a "military drill". South Korea returned fire, but no injuries were reported.

The following month, North Korea declared four areas near the sea border to be naval firing zones, according to the South Korean military, and deployed multiple rocket launchers close to the frontier.

Deadly naval clashes happened 1999, 2002 and the latest in November 2009 when a fire fight left a North Korean patrol boat in flames and one dead.

The South Korean vessel alleged that the North Korean vessel had crossed the disputed sea border - a charge North Korea denied.

South Korea recognises the Northern Limit Line, drawn unilaterally by the US-led United Nations Command to demarcate the sea border at the end of the 1950-53 Korean War. The line has never been accepted by North Korea.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8589507.stm

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Cecil

Well played Brazen.

I was 100% sure this thread was started by timmy until I I went into the thread the second time.  :)

Brazen

Quote from: Cecil on March 26, 2010, 10:58:42 AM
Well played Brazen.

I was 100% sure this thread was started by timmy until I I went into the thread the second time.  :)
:lol: Err, thanks?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2010, 10:56:16 AM
Well, shit.

I can't remember, where in Korea are you?  Are you going to be killed in the initial artillery bombardment of Seoul or would it take a massive zerg rush to reach you?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

viper37

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 26, 2010, 11:41:48 AM
I can't remember, where in Korea are you?  Are you going to be killed in the initial artillery bombardment of Seoul or would it take a massive zerg rush to reach you?
he may not live in Korea, but if there is war between the North and South, the US will get involved, and NK has nuclear weapons.  Even without nuclear weapons, in a war with conventional weapons the US would still intervene, and there would still be US troops there, and if the US gets involved there, other countries are going to get involved, and maybe even China would send 'volunteers' like the last time.

The only difference is there would be no Russian planes this time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 26, 2010, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2010, 10:56:16 AM
Well, shit.

I'm 40 minutes westsouthwest of Suwon by bus, close to the
coast. So, south of Seoul by a decent bit.
It would take a while for them to get here.
HisMajestyBob is in Incheon though.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

It would be cool if Tim got captured and taken to the North to be a tutor to Kim Jong Il's nephews or something. :)

Some years later I would write a Broadway musical about it called The Tim And I:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2010, 12:21:19 PM
It would be cool if Tim got captured and taken to the North to be a tutor to Kim Jong Il's nephews or something. :)

Some years later I would write a Broadway musical about it called The Tim And I:cool:

Kim'n'Tim is a better title for marketing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Strix

No, no, just NO! It would not be cool. Tim would tutor them creating a whole nation of Patriotards!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DisturbedPervert

:lmfao:

Josephus

Come on. Since when does the sinking of a ship precipitate full US involvement in a war? Sheesh.

:huh:

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011