News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wireless router

Started by lustindarkness, March 26, 2010, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I need to start looking for a new router, my old dinosour Netgear keeps disconnecting me, even the PS3 that is hardwired to it. So, what sould I be looking for? Any recommendations? Also, should I also ask Charter for a new cable modem? that thing is just as old.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Vricklund

I like the La Fonera routers, mainly because they're dirt cheap and you can reflash them with open-wrt or gargoyle. If you want I can email you a invite/discount on one ($/€19.95 shipping charges not included).

viper37

WRT400N, from Linksys is apparently very good.  I'm not sure I'd rate as 100% positive though.  It seems to act... weirdly, some times.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

WRT400N has good reviews, thanks. La Fonera seems to be british?
Is these the price ranges I can expect for a decent one? Bit more than I thought, but seems reasonable. Thank you for any recommendation, even the Mac crap :p, I'll keep looking too.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Vricklund

Unless you don't have any wireless G gadgets or plan on upgrading all your equipment to wireless N there is little more than better coverage to win by buying an N router. See, an N router will gear down to G speeds if any such devices are found within range, to keep it compatible with your G gadgets. Perhaps this has been "fixed" in the newer routers?

Fonera is Spanish, the router is made in Taiwan I think.

If you're getting a cheap G router it's best to make sure it's possible to flash it with opensource, as the firmware delivered with such routers are nerfed and/or very poorly done. The opensource alternatives, however, are usually better than even the better commercial firmwares.

derspiess

Not everyone wants to flash third-party firmware on to their routers; I try to keep this in mind when advising people at work what to get.  For most of them, a cheap reliable Wireless G router will do the trick. 

I have no first-hand experience with Wireless N routers-- G works fine in my house for what I need.

FWIW, Verizon had a deal a few weeks ago for Wireless G routers they were trying to unload.  I got one (should have loaded up) for $7 including overnight shipping to use as an emergency backup.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Vricklund

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2010, 08:16:35 PM
Not everyone wants to flash third-party firmware on to their routers; I try to keep this in mind when advising people at work what to get.  For most of them, a cheap reliable Wireless G router will do the trick.
Perhaps. It's really no more difficult than installing your favourite office suite. 15 min of your time and it'll give you a router that's alot more flexible.

derspiess

Quote from: Vricklund on March 26, 2010, 08:50:05 PM
Perhaps. It's really no more difficult than installing your favourite office suite. 15 min of your time and it'll give you a router that's alot more flexible.

Depends.  For some routers, you have to flash a certain version or it's bricked.  For others, you have to flash a certain version *then* another version.  It's not that difficult if you do your research & make sure to follow the exact procedures, but it's not fool-proof.  Last thing I want to happen is to recommend to someone that they buy a certain router so they can install this cool custom firmware on it, only to have them bork the installation & blame me for the advice.

Not that I think Lusti isn't capable of doing it; I just don't know if it's something he wants to do.  Most people would have no use for the extra features you get from custom firmware-- they just want the thing to work.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2010, 10:39:21 PM
Quote from: Vricklund on March 26, 2010, 08:50:05 PM

Depends.  For some routers, you have to flash a certain version or it's bricked.  For others, you have to flash a certain version *then* another version.  It's not that difficult if you do your research & make sure to follow the exact procedures, but it's not fool-proof.  Last thing I want to happen is to recommend to someone that they buy a certain router so they can install this cool custom firmware on it, only to have them bork the installation & blame me for the advice.

Not that I think Lusti isn't capable of doing it; I just don't know if it's something he wants to do.  Most people would have no use for the extra features you get from custom firmware-- they just want the thing to work.

This, keep it simple and easy and made sure it works.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Alcibiades

My router has been giving me a lot of grief over the past couple of months and it appears to be going out here shortly.  So hoping to buy a new one tomorrow if I can get your guys' input on this.

Been looking at

D-Link 4-Port GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-4-Port-GamerLounge-Broadband-Gigabit/dp/B0006TIA0C/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

or the one mentioned here,

WRT400N
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT400N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B001SEL36M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269929524&sr=1-1

Same price, just wondering what you guys recommend.

I use it for 2 Pcs and a ps3.  All wired so that really isn't too big of an issue for me either way.  Just need something that doesn't cut my internet connection when I turn on my ps3 or decide the connection wants to quit until I reset the router.

Thanks

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Vricklund

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 30, 2010, 01:12:57 AM
Been looking at

D-Link 4-Port GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-4-Port-GamerLounge-Broadband-Gigabit/dp/B0006TIA0C/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

My parents' been using a wireless version of that router for 5 years. Slightly muddled interface but it's been stable and has all the settings you might want.

viper37

I have the WRT400N, can't say it's bad, can't say I'm really impressed either.  However, I've been disapointed with the past D-Link routers I got...

Imho, you should go for the wireless router, just in case you need it in a year or two.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Can someone explain the G vs N? A good G is like half the price, need to consider that.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom