News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wireless router

Started by lustindarkness, March 26, 2010, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 02, 2010, 08:33:00 AM
Can someone explain the G vs N? A good G is like half the price, need to consider that.

802.11n has a maximum speed of over 10 times that of 802.11g, with observed speeds more like 4-5 times faster.

On the other hand, 802.11g can commonly get 10-20 mbits/sec speeds, which is likely more than enough to saturate your internet connection...

derspiess

Quote from: ulmont on April 02, 2010, 08:44:34 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 02, 2010, 08:33:00 AM
Can someone explain the G vs N? A good G is like half the price, need to consider that.

802.11n has a maximum speed of over 10 times that of 802.11g, with observed speeds more like 4-5 times faster.

On the other hand, 802.11g can commonly get 10-20 mbits/sec speeds, which is likely more than enough to saturate your internet connection...

Just to add, the size/layout of your house and the placement of the router have a lot to do with the quality of your signal.  G may well be sufficient (it is for me).  My parents' house is a different story.  My dad has his router in the basement (in a corner, no less) and neither G nor N do too great of a job getting through the two floors to the opposite end of the house.  We thought N would do the trick, but that house is hell for trying to get any consistent radio signal more than 1 room away.

Another thing to keep in mind, Lusti, is that if you have an N router but your laptop & other wifi devices are G, you won't see any benefit from N. 

Since you can find G routers for as little as $20 these days, I say try one that seems to have decent consumer reviews, and see how it works out.  And I would try to find one that has an external antenna (or even two).  The ones with internal antennae may look purty, but in my experience, external is always preferable.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Well, so much for research.  :lol:
I had told the wife what I was looking for and why N band instead of G and so on and so forth (to prepare her for the $) and here she comes from Walmart with a Linksys WRT160N for $59.97. Not the fastest connection for gaming I think, but seems it should work better than what I have now. I'll take a closer look at it later when I have the time. Thank you all for the input.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom