News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Second Coming

Started by grumbler, April 08, 2009, 09:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Thats an interesting point, and worth analysing. I like the high victorians, and napoleonic france. I would call the antebellum South haute culture as well, but I can see why many would not.

The answer lies in that I am suspicious and downright antagonistic of progress. I tend to swing for faith, valour tradition and moraltiy in the face of science, reason, industry and the whole progressive scene.

I really identify with agrarians, also, which 'civilisation' tends to deal roughly with.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:25:38 PM
Vercingetorix is bishi.
:huh: Vercingetorix bishonen? I think you need to look up the term, I guarantee you he wasn't.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

What? He was a long-haired celt i'd certaintly let carry me away. Dreamy!

But, martinus, why do you think so little of me? I like -you-, you know. You, CdM, neil and tamas are the posters I doubt i'd go to languish without.

Ed Anger

Well, I think the use of the word "bishi" finally puts an end to the rumor of lettow being my sockpuppet. Because I'd never pretend to be a japofag.

I even had to look it up.

P.S. Jubal Early liked cock.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:30:47 PM
Thats an interesting point, and worth analysing. I like the high victorians, and napoleonic france. I would call the antebellum South haute culture as well, but I can see why many would not.
How can you like Napoleonic France?  Revolutionary fervor, human progress, the last great war of freedom?  All seems like the sort of stuff you'd detest.

Same for the High Victorians.  The long 19th century crisis of faith, replaced by a horrid faith in progress that led inexorably into the Somme.

QuoteThe answer lies in that I am suspicious and downright antagonistic of progress. I tend to swing for faith, valour tradition and moraltiy in the face of science, reason, industry and the whole progressive scene.
That doesn't sound wholly inimical to the Romans.  In fact it sounds like just about every Roman I've ever read about and every Roman historian.  I think you're associating the Romans with Greek ideas.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:33:35 PM
What? He was a long-haired celt i'd certaintly let carry me away. Dreamy!

Bishonen don't rock the facial hair.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

I dont dislike freedom, you know. Im more libertarian than fascist..and fervour? I admire fanatacism no matter its source, and think suicide attacks should be more exalted than they are. That is to say, I eat up Japan's..thing in WW2, or the french in WW1.

As for the faith in progress that lead to the somme? I know, I know! I embrace the victorian era, despite its faults. Fondness for something doesnt equate to unilateral support for everything in it. The victorian faith in progress leading to the somme gives me massive GRIMDARK arousal. WW1 is probably how all wars should be fought, if not medieval conditions.

Napoleon and his regime I like a great deal. The spirit of the times, the expanding liberties and curbing of the radical left, the birth of nationalism, it all appeals to me.

Admittedly, roman attitudes arent antagonistic to mine, and in many ways paralell it. However, I dislike romans, very simply. I just automatically read them as the villains. To make things more muddling, I like the greeks. I admit it is a bit inconsistent, but I can explain all my aversions and admirations if I was called to do so.

Lettow77

[/quote]Bishonen don't rock the facial hair.
[/quote]

An interesting argument, but your asking me to acknowledge JEB wasnt a bishi, which requires too much of a leap of faith.

grumbler

Follow-up to my Alan Seeger bit:  today, our school hosted Mike Seeger, brother of Pete Seeger, a folk singer-type heavily involved in getting students interested in folk songs of Appalachia.

After he performed, there was a question-and-answer period.  One of my students, remembering the poem I had read and the bio of Alan Seeger i had provided (which didn't mention Mike Seeger, whom I frankly had never heard of before this week) asked Mike how his uncle's legacy had affected his work.

Mike Seeger was astonished by the question, and said he had never before been asked about his uncle, only his brother.  He said that the only thing he and his brother Pete agreed on was that they really wished they could have met their Uncle Alan, whose memory cast a shadow on the whole family.  Alan Seeger had, of course, died before either Seeger brother (or their sister) was born.  He then sang "Rendezvous" with a guitar accompaniment he made up on the spot.

That was quite a rewarding moment for me.  I hadn't really made the Alan Seeger connection myself, but, once made, it was terribly moving.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 07:37:06 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:30:47 PM
How can you like Napoleonic France?  Revolutionary fervor, human progress, the last great war of freedom?  All seems like the sort of stuff you'd detest.
Fortunately, freedom prevailed in those wars, and Napoleon was defeated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2009, 07:33:42 PM
Well, I think the use of the word "bishi" finally puts an end to the rumor of lettow being my sockpuppet. Because I'd never pretend to be a japofag.

I looked it up as well, and it seems he's using it incorrectly.  I very much doubt that Vercingetorix (whoever that is) looked like a woman.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Neeeil, your talking about things you dont understand. Which happens infrequently- it doesnt suit you. Vercingetorix is most certaintly a bishi, and were he here he'd carry me away in his manly but conspicuously hairless arms.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 07:27:32 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:25:38 PM
Martinus, I like the roman era, but hate romans. My sympathies and interest lies very much in gaul. Vercingetorix is my bishi.
Jesus.  What is your problem with civilisation?  Every time it shows even a hint of flourishing you seem to sympathise wholeheartedly with the romantic, barbaric fringe :bleeding:

It's part of that League of the South bullshit.  They argue that Southerners are actually "Celtic" and are oppressed by the more "Germanic" northerners.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2009, 07:33:42 PM

You are a braver man then I.  I won't look that shit up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Raz, thats perceptive of you. How many people here on languish even know what the League of the South is?