Stop the Presses! Study Finds Bullies Pick On Unpopular Kids!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2010, 01:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Is that what the seduction community teaches? Tell stories full of bravado?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Malthus

I wasn't a popular child in primary school, and found school perfectly miserable until grade 7 or so (mostly becase I did not like the other kids and they did not like me - looking back on it, probably more my fault then theirs), but I don't recall much in the way of actual physical bullying. I was certainly never involved in smashing other kids in the face, or vice versa; nor did I see that happening to other kids.

I was always big and strong for my age, though.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

I had a bit of a weird status at primary school all things considered. I was not a popular kid and I was a geek (and the best student in the school to boot) and I was sometimes teased, but I wasn't really bullied (never was beaten or pushed or extorted or anything).

I was a "rich kid" (by my town's standards), and teachers liked me (but I wasn't a kiss up; in fact we often stirred up shit, e.g. I ran a non-official school newspaper and we decided to run a story by my buddy about pets in the biology lab being mistreated - there was such a shitstorm :D)

My best friend since about 3rd grade until today is a guy who was at the time an anarchist punk-rock single-mother kid who most people thought is "half-gypsy" (he is a bit dark skinned and I think his father may have been a Roma), who started as a playboy and is now a hippie polyanna-style fundie Christian. The rest of our gang included a guy who was really into dissecting frogs and constructing explosive devices, and later got into mind-altering substances and committed suicide last year; and a tech-oriented "girl king" guy, with a crazie fundie mother, who I found out recently now works for Exxon Mobile and lives with his boyfriend.

For some reason bullies left me alone and there was in fact some sort of mutual grudging respect/detente between us.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2010, 02:14:56 PM
I had a bit of a weird status at primary school all things considered. I was not a popular kid and I was a geek (and the best student in the school to boot) and I was sometimes teased, but I wasn't really bullied (never was beaten or pushed or extorted or anything).

I was a "rich kid" (by my town's standards), and teachers liked me (but I wasn't a kiss up; in fact we often stirred up shit, e.g. I ran a non-official school newspaper and we decided to run a story by my buddy about pets in the biology lab being mistreated - there was such a shitstorm :D)

My best friend since about 3rd grade until today is a guy who was at the time an anarchist punk-rock single-mother kid who most people thought is "half-gypsy" (he is a bit dark skinned and I think his father may have been a Roma), who started as a playboy and is now a hippie polyanna-style fundie Christian. The rest of our gang included a guy who was really into dissecting frogs and constructing explosive devices, and later got into mind-altering substances and committed suicide last year; and a tech-oriented "girl king" guy, with a crazie fundie mother, who I found out recently now works for Exxon Mobile and lives with his boyfriend.

For some reason bullies left me alone and there was in fact some sort of mutual grudging respect/detente between us.

That sounds more like what we would call 'juniour high' and 'high school' - grades 7-12. I associate "bullying" with younger kids - grades 1-6. Perhaps incorrectly.

In our case, by high school kids had split up into various tribes, and kid's energies were mostly tied up in gaining status within the 'tribe' they had chosen. sometimes this resulted in deadly emnity between various tribes, but more often in my experience at least it acted as a sort of peace-maker - if someone was in another 'tribe' you weren't competing at all with them for status, so you could interact on the basis of more or less "grudging respect".

The ironic thing at the time was that our "tribe" (as I suspect was yours) was composed of all sorts of eccentric misfits who would otherwise have had very low status. By forming their own tribe with its own status-structure, suddenly those who had high status *within the group* were of more or less equal status with the high-status kids in other groups. As high school progressed, for hetero guys at least a group had status if it was able to attract female members who were hot. Since our group had lots of artsie types and lots (and lots) of drugs, this wasn't a problem ... Hence the "mutual gruding respect" thing.

The "irony" enters in that we eccentric misfits types thought, naturally enough, that we were beyond all that status seeking bullshit, that we were too cool to care about that sort of thing and that this is why we were not tortured by anxiety about our social place. The reality was of course quite otherwise.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Oh, in Poland at the time we had elementary school of grades 1-8, so what I wrote applies to ages 6 through 14.

After that I had 4 years of a "lyceaum" but that was a completely different experience, since you would have all the bullies and idiots go to professional schools at that point, so we got the brainiacs and the artsy types mostly, and people were just weird. :P

Now the system is more similar to the use one (there is a 6 year elementary school, then 4 year high school, then 3 years of the "lyceum" and then university).

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2010, 12:46:58 PM

If it can reassure you, no gays were bashed that day... unless one of those two was still in the closet without my knowledge. :shifty:

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2010, 12:46:58 PM

"Demonstrate that you are a possible protector" and thus alpha.    :showoff:

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on March 26, 2010, 05:30:25 PM
If it can reassure you, no gays were bashed that day... unless one of those two was still in the closet without my knowledge. :shifty:

Why would I care about that? :huh:

garbon

Eddie Teach

I never really noticed the cliques/ that seem to epitomize high school to Malthus and most Hollywood screen writers. People had their circles of friends, sure, but those groups were too small to form an outline of the whole school. Course, my school was big enough that I didn't know half the people in my class.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 26, 2010, 11:47:36 PM
I never really noticed the cliques/ that seem to epitomize high school to Malthus and most Hollywood screen writers. People had their circles of friends, sure, but those groups were too small to form an outline of the whole school. Course, my school was big enough that I didn't know half the people in my class.

Yeah, that's how I remember it too.  The people I hung out with were mostly just the people I had classes with