Stop the Presses! Study Finds Bullies Pick On Unpopular Kids!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2010, 01:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: Drakken
It finally stopped in high school when, in the same day:

A) I repeatedly punched a younger bully, twice my size, in his eye socket until it got bloodied and permanently damaged in front of everyone. After telling him four times to stop picking off my earphones out of my ears. Fuck the unwritten rules, I wanted to beat the snot out of him.

Now learn from Drakken, THIS is how you get rid of bullies. Pass this on to your young ones: hit 'em. Hit 'em hard. Then hit 'em harder when they're down.

In my earliest school days, it was kind of hard to tell if there was any bullying going on: our breaks were usually spent in non-stop fighting, so I don't know which punches where thrown in bullying and which were just plain fun. All the similar-aged classes split into two large random buches and just smashed into each other.

(I always placed myself in the far left flank and made sure my side knew that I got dibs on the four guys in the opposite area facing us)

In high school, a big guy tried to bully me. I beat him up. Then I kinda took over class, and this remained so until I graduated from University (it was useful in university, as I could drink beer during classes).

In high school, I never felt like bullying anyone. It's just no sport to pick up on the weak.

I did once tried to dish out some Justice (once I beat the crap out of a guy I thought had done something wrong, but it seemed that he had been secretly scammed by the other guy and just wanted some payback), but then I decided to avoid taking that route. Too full of perils.

DisturbedPervert

Bullying seemed much more of a middle and grade school thing from what I remember

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2010, 09:01:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2010, 07:12:55 PM
I think Malthus is trying to tell us he was a high-ranking geek.

Who pretended not to care who the popular kids were.

If they didn't do drugs, I may not have even known their names.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 29, 2010, 09:10:30 AM
Bullying seemed much more of a middle and grade school thing from what I remember

Nobody fucked with me after I went through puberty.  Funny how suddenly being 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier will do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

I thought my point was that being a popular stoner wasn't much of a distinction.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I noticed that after my Freshman year in HS, most bullies in my class stayed freshmen while the rest of us went on up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2010, 09:26:22 AM

Nobody fucked with me after I went through puberty.  Funny how suddenly being 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier will do that.

You know as a kid I was pretty damn geeky, wasn't hugely popular, but I wasn't ever 'bullied' or picked on.

Thinking about it though, I was one of the first to hit a growth spurt, and for a time I was the tallest one in my class, with the deepest voice.  That probably had something to do with it.

And by the time everyone caught up (and passed) me bullying in that kind of physical manner really wasn't done.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2010, 09:26:22 AM

The thing I found was that there was always someone who wanted to prove how tough they were by taking on the big guy.  Also there was the problem of my smaller friends picking fights at parties and then expecting me to get them out of trouble.

As a result I was in fights pretty much every weekend in high school - mostly with mill workers that had already graduated from high school (my home town was a small mill town) although most fights were pretty minor.

As for bullying, I was never bullied nor was I a bully.  It wasnt really possible for me since I had good friends in the three main groups at our school - the Jocks, Stoners and Geeks.  The first two meant I wouldnt get bullied and the last meant I couldnt bully.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2010, 09:12:00 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2010, 09:01:07 PM

Who pretended not to care who the popular kids were.

If they didn't do drugs, I may not have even known their names.  :D

A lot of the Stoner population game to our basketball games.  It gave a real home court advantage when christian schools came to town.  All those long haired rough looking guys and girls going crazy and giving off a rather pungent smell was very unsettling to those clean cut teams and their fans.

Now, you may ask why in the world would they do that....  Simple.  Every once in a while it was possible to convince some of the opposing cheerleaders - who were not as straight laced as they might appear - to come out to the after game party. :cool:

HVC

I was never bullied in elementary school because i was always the tallest ( Iwas still the tallest into high schhol, then i hit 16 and stopped growing, but everyone else kept going lol). Closest i ever came was this little punk kind who used to like to mess my hair up in grade 9. Thought he was cool becasue he was in a karate class. Did it once or twice until, like the other stories, violence ended that.

Boys stop bullying in high school becasue thats when the threat turns real. in elemantary school the little kid might push back, or something, but once anger and hormones hit in high schhol you can get messed up if you're not careful. added to that, beating up the little guys doesn't get you any points. so it's lose lose. Get beaten up, or be thought a schmuck for beating him up.

conversly, girls bullying really ramps up in high school.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2010, 12:01:12 PM

I never really saw any of that.  Must be a generational thing because now it seems to be everywhere.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 29, 2010, 11:54:44 AM
A lot of the Stoner population game to our basketball games.  It gave a real home court advantage when christian schools came to town.  All those long haired rough looking guys and girls going crazy and giving off a rather pungent smell was very unsettling to those clean cut teams and their fans.

Now, you may ask why in the world would they do that....  Simple.  Every once in a while it was possible to convince some of the opposing cheerleaders - who were not as straight laced as they might appear - to come out to the after game party. :cool:

:lol:

Your high school experience might as well have been on Mars in terms of any similarity to mine.  ;)

Yours seems to have been a reasonably small school in a small town, where people generally knew one another. Mine was in a huge, anonymous high school in Toronto. I couldn't tell you even if we *had* a basketball team. Probably did.

There was no strict hierarchical divisions into jocks, stoners and geeks - there were groups that were one or the other, sure, but they weren't all grouped together. 

There was no bullying of the sort described above, and very little casual fighting either. I suspect mainly because the school was filled mostly with upper middle class kids, whose parents would have freaked if they found out about it.

crazy canuck

Malthus, agreed the difference in size (my school had less then 300 students in high school) and economic difference in the community (there wasnt really a upper middle class population: there were the kids of the mill owners and the kids of the people that worked in the mills with a very small middle class that provided services) meant that everyone knew eachother and it was pretty easy for me to have friends with widely different interests and activities which is probably how I ended up being the top rebounder in the district and the DM of my DnD group with friends at the basketball games who were likely too stoned to figure out if we were winning or losing. :cool:

The Brain

I never saw serious bullying in all my school years. Seems to be more common in less civilized countries.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 29, 2010, 12:05:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2010, 12:01:12 PM

I never really saw any of that.  Must be a generational thing because now it seems to be everywhere.
They can be vicious. both verbally and physically. when girls fight it's scary too, becasue they have no rules.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.