Stop the Presses! Study Finds Bullies Pick On Unpopular Kids!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2010, 01:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

A discovery of this magnitude will revolutionize psychology. This study was worth every dime and then some.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100325/sc_livescience/bulliespickonunpopularkidsstudyfinds
Bullies Pick on Unpopular Kids, Study Finds

livescience.com – Thu Mar 25, 7:59 am ET

Bullies choose their victims wisely, targeting kids who are unpopular and less likely to be defended by their peers, a new study finds.

And in elementary school, which this study focused on, kids are only interested in what their same-gender peers think. So boys will target classmates who are not well-liked by other boys, regardless of what the girls think.

Past research has shown that gays and lesbians as well as those who are socially awkward are more likely to be victims of bullying.

The new finding that bullies are so strategic in their affairs means eradicating the behavior will take a savvy program, said lead researcher Rene Veenstra, professor of sociology at the University of Groningen. While the study was based in the Netherlands, Veenstra said there's no reason the results shouldn't apply to the United States and elsewhere.

The results, which are detailed in the March/April 2010 issue of the journal Child Development, have implications for reducing bullying. An estimated 15 percent of kids around the globe are victims of bullying which can lead to depression, anxiety, loneliness and other negative consequences, the researchers say.

Bullies also have grim outcomes, with research showing in the long-run they have more substance abuse problems and higher levels of delinquency, Veenstra said.

Who's who in the classroom

Veenstra and his colleagues had about 480 students, average age of 10.5 years, from 26 different Dutch elementary schools answer questionnaires about their classmates.

The students noted which kids were their friends, those they disliked and who bullied whom. For instance, students indicated whether they themselves or others were victims or instigators of different forms of bully behavior and victimization, such as: excluding or ignoring; calling names or laughing; hitting, kicking, or pinching; taking things; throwing things.

Both boys and girls were more likely to accept same-gender classmates than other-gender classmates. And boys were more often nominated than girls as perpetrators of bullying toward both boys and girls.

"They aren't interested in the opinion to the whole classroom, only those in their in-group," Veenstra told LiveScience. "In elementary school the in-group is often people from the same sex. Boys are interested in the opinion of other boys in whether they choose the right target or not, and girls are interested in what other girls think."

Bullies tended to target same-gender individuals who were rejected by and had low acceptance from their same-gender classmates. So when boys bully boys, it didn't matter whether girls approved or disapproved. The same went for girl bullies.

In that way the bullies could gain status by dominating other kids while also stay in the good graces of the in-group.

When they did taunt girls, boys chose victims who weren't well-liked by other boys, regardless of the victim's status among girls. Girls did the same in their bullying of boys. But there was one caveat. While male bullies were never rated low on acceptance by male or female peers, when girls bullied boys they were more rejected by both genders. The researchers aren't sure the reason for the gender difference.

Complex behavior

Veenstra paints a picture of bullying as a strategic affair involving more than just the bully and victim. For instance, assistants help out the bully, while defendants help the victim, and bystanders stand on the sidelines.

"Bullies do it so strategically that if there is not a good program at the school nothing will change. They won't change their behavior by themselves, because it gives them a lot of advantages," he said. "You really need a good program that changes the attitude of all the kids in the classroom that makes clear to children that if they want the bully to stop they all have to be part, take joint action."

He added, "They have to understand if they assist or reinforce the bully or are just bystanders that is what drives the bullying."

Those who want to nip bullying behavior in the bud should also take gender into account.

"To understand the complex nature of acceptance and rejection, it's necessary to distinguish the gender of the bully, the gender of the target, and the gender of the classmates who accept and reject bullies and victims," Veenstra said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Sure makes me feel better about the research I'm doing.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

BuddhaRhubarb

:lol: I sincerely hope that lots of tax dollars went into that study.
:p

Martinus

QuoteWhile male bullies were never rated low on acceptance by male or female peers, when girls bullied boys they were more rejected by both genders. The researchers aren't sure the reason for the gender difference.

Duh. Noone likes a bitch.  :rolleyes:

BuddhaRhubarb

hmmm thinking back I was both popular and bullied. (the drawback to being a popular fat kid, you get bullied when there are no weaker thans around) Once again I fail to be part of the demographic. :p
:p

Grey Fox

First 3 grades, I was a bully.

All subsequent grades I was semi-bullied, left alone.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2010, 11:50:41 AM
First 3 grades, I was a bully.

All subsequent grades I was semi-bullied, left alone.

It finally stopped in high school when, in the same day:

A) I repeatedly punched a younger bully, twice my size, in his eye socket until it got bloodied and permanently damaged in front of everyone. After telling him four times to stop picking off my earphones out of my ears. Fuck the unwritten rules, I wanted to beat the snot out of him.

B) I got patted in the back by my principal for doing so because I was obviously provoked (who suspended me nonetheless but without any due work, basically giving me one more day of break).

C) A bigger bully later tried to diss me in the middle of a class for assaulting the above bully, and I coolly threatened to break every single chair in the class on his back and face if he didn't back off, until either he died or all the chairs were broken, and I reached for the nearest chair. Luckily for him (and for me), he backed off and immediately played the Beta.  I was so enraged that day, I would have actually done it.

After that, I was left alone.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 26, 2010, 12:30:11 PM
That sounds like something out of a bad movie.

This sounds like the movie Three O'Clock High, except that I wasn't actually running away from the bully, but wanting to sadistically maim him.  :lol:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Nice, another chance to share my favorite bully story. In elementary I went to a big private school that went all the way to high school. This school was across the street from the beach and the playground had a few coconut palm trees. I was in 6th grade and some highschooler decided to try and bully me, he pushed me, I grabbed a coconut and smashed him in the mouth, braces through the lips and much blood and screaming and later an ambulance. I sure got in trouble and almost expelled, but no one ever bothered me in that school ever again. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom