News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vampire Bloodlines, status?

Started by vinraith, April 08, 2009, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

I know this has had extensive fan updating pretty much continuously for a long time. When I played it (back in 2006) it was still somewhat rough at the end, and one of the final boss battles was just fucking broken.

With it having been almost three years I'm wondering if it's been fixed up enough or changed enough to be worth trying again. Anyone in the know?

Martinus

Barrister

Let us know if you do find anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

These guys claim to have fixed all the bugs in their latest fan patch, from November 2008 (NSFW):

http://www.tessmage.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=960e25b8c6e0c0618af4b26a94a7ce7b&topic=1112.0

Barrister

Since its NSFW I can't check right now, but does it just fix bugs, or does it attempt to add any kind of content?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

vinraith

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 04:22:15 PM
Since its NSFW I can't check right now, but does it just fix bugs, or does it attempt to add any kind of content?

That one looks like a pure bugfix.

In the past, I used an earlier version of this one (SFW). It's a bit more liberal with the additions, which is fine with me.

katmai

Vinny,

I was using the one you were as well, i need to see if i can re-dl'd the game since i lost my old version when HD died.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

There was more than one final boss battle?
And there's been fan mods?
It was a damn awesome game. Except the haunted house. Despite all the flaws it just ruled.
██████
██████
██████

Cerr

I was lucky, I never encountered any major bugs and didn't have any problem with any of the final bosses either. I played through it again about a year ago (with the Wesp fan patch) and there was a fair bit of content added which is nice, it does make the game a bit easier though.

Queequeg

I loved this game but I have to admit, more work went into the boob-jiggling effects for Jeanette and a few other female models than into bug testing. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2009, 05:26:43 PMExcept the haunted house.

:huh: Are you kidding?  That was one of the best parts of it.

IMO Bloodlines is the single most disappointing game of all time, because what it HAD in it absolutely ruled, and it had amazing potential, but as usual Troika's incredibly flawed (or total lack of) QA process and/or horrible business decisions about when to release it sunk it.  But I mean you could tell the designers LOVED the source material... the game was just never properly finished.

I felt the same way about KOTOR II, but not nearly to the same degree.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 07:25:28 AM

It's Jos. He's brain damaged if not brain dead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

vinraith

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 07:25:28 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2009, 05:26:43 PMExcept the haunted house.

IMO Bloodlines is the single most disappointing game of all time, because what it HAD in it absolutely ruled, and it had amazing potential, but as usual Troika's incredibly flawed (or total lack of) QA process and/or horrible business decisions about when to release it sunk it.  But I mean you could tell the designers LOVED the source material... the game was just never properly finished.

Agreed on both points, which is why I'm hesitant to give it another try without some confirmation it's been significantly improved. Last time I went from really enjoying myself to wanting to snap the necks of the entire development crew in the span of about 10 hours. Between this and Temple of Elemental Evil, I've always been of the opinion that while Troika had massive potential, they pretty much deserve what they got.

Oh, and I've recently learned that Obsidian (which includes a lot of Black Isle guys) also includes some Troika people, which immediately explains why NWN2 is such a buggy mess (well, less so after 3 years of patching but Jesus).

Caliga

Interesting.  Troika was so small that the designers were probably also the developers, and Obsidian seems small enough that it probably has the same arrangement.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: vinraith on April 09, 2009, 10:29:26 AM
Oh, and I've recently learned that Obsidian (which includes a lot of Black Isle guys) also includes some Troika people, which immediately explains why NWN2 is such a buggy mess (well, less so after 3 years of patching but Jesus).

Really?  I don't remember many problems in single player with NWN2, aside from a patching bug which wouldn't let you finish the first dungeon.