And we're back!

Main Menu

Life is a cat toying with a mouse

Started by Josquius, March 24, 2010, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2010, 05:01:42 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 25, 2010, 04:59:01 AM
Definitely offer to do teleconferencing interviews, phone interviews etc.  You want to sound like you are making every effort and beyond to make this work.  And don't use words like "out of my price range" or "such short notice".  You want this job more than they want you.  Forget the short notice part, it is not relevant.  Say you'd really love to meet them in person and would buy the first train ticket to wherever they are - if you're not a poor student living in Sweden.  They'd understand. 
But then why aren't I hopping on the next plane to meet them if its not that I can't afford it?
Offering alternatives is good...OK, will do that.
Am going to reply in a hour once I've woken up properly.

If you tell them you're a poor student living in Sweden (or words to that effect), it'll be obvious that you can't afford the ticket. 

Brazen

Keep it short, don't faff, let them deal with the details.
QuoteDear X,

Many thanks for your invitation to interview. I would be delighted to participate, but as I am currently living in Sweden, I cannot secure an affordable flight for the date you specified. Would it be possible to make alternative arrangements or to carry out the interview over the phone or via teleconferencing?

Best regards

Tyr

Trust me, I'm on my 16th job and had more different types of interview than you care to imagine.

Also, don't call the Scots guy "Scotch" :bleeding:

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on March 25, 2010, 05:05:21 AM
If you tell them you're a poor student living in Sweden (or words to that effect), it'll be obvious that you can't afford the ticket. 
hmm...sounds a bit...little orphan Annie. Why not just give the proper reason outright than going all woe is me? I am willing to go out of my way to go there, its just my bank balance isn't up to the gamble.

I'm guessing to send;
Dear Bob,
This is good to hear and I would love to come. Unfortunately I am still currently a student based in Sweden and cannot afford to get to London next week.
Would you be open to any alternatives such as a skype-interview and/or an in-person interview at a somewhat later date?
Sincerely Tyr

edit- ok, what Brazen said works. Its the flight failing not me :P
And yeah, I know, I love that word though, so much cooler than Scottish. Since this isn't a job as a fancy dress tour guide though I don't want to come across as to much of an archaic weirdo so I'll keep it on the downlow.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I suggest sending Brazen's draft. 

Brazen

If they do pay for your flights, I have a Languish-tested spare room. Though of course it's a 5-hour commute to central London that'll cost you £120, and everyone gets stabbed and blown up at least once a week :rolleyes:

Richard Hakluyt

In general I've found London to be safer than the NE of England. They like their closing-time fights back home and don't really care who they drag into them  :P

Anyway, hope it works out for you. Good Luck!

Josquius

Thanks everyone.
They seem open to a phone/video-conferencing thing; no clue what yet. I just hope I can manage it, I'm pretty awful at talking on the phone (so...unnatural, speech without the vital visual cues). It'll be a learning experience at least.

QuoteIn general I've found London to be safer than the NE of England. They like their closing-time fights back home and don't really care who they drag into them  :P

I've got a good saving throw vs. bludgeons, I don't do so well with pointy things though. ;)
But anyway. Fingers crossed within a month or two I'll be starting a thread for moving to London advice.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2010, 08:14:36 AM
They seem open to a phone/video-conferencing thing; no clue what yet. I just hope I can manage it, I'm pretty awful at talking on the phone (so...unnatural, speech without the vital visual cues). It'll be a learning experience at least.
Like I said, practice. Get a friend to call you up and ask you open ended interview questions. Yes, it's embarrassing, but so's the real thing so it'll get you used to it. If you're not on webcam stand up when you talk. It really does help.

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on March 25, 2010, 08:39:51 AM

Like I said, practice. Get a friend to call you up and ask you open ended interview questions. Yes, it's embarrassing, but so's the real thing so it'll get you used to it. If you're not on webcam stand up when you talk. It really does help.

This.  Don't worry about not getting the visual cues.  See, they face the same problem, so the odds are even  ;) 

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2010, 04:52:07 AM
Whats your obsession with provinciality? I'm one of the least provincial people around.

Around where? :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2010, 10:25:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2010, 04:52:07 AM
Whats your obsession with provinciality? I'm one of the least provincial people around.

Around where? :lol:

Here.

Mister I fart higher then the hole.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.