News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Life is a cat toying with a mouse

Started by Josquius, March 24, 2010, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

That said, anyone who says, "Ugh I'd have to live in London..." :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Isn't it standard for a potential employer to pay your travel costs and hotel? I haven't had a single interview where the employer would not pay for it. Just ask them for their policy regarding this.
If they don't pay for this, they are a shitty employer anyway.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2010, 10:15:28 PM
Isn't it standard for a potential employer to pay your travel costs and hotel? I haven't had a single interview where the employer would not pay for it. Just ask them for their policy regarding this.

We interviewed a dude from Scotland, and we didn't pay anything.  We hired him, however. 

Barrister

I'd say that would be unusual for an entry level position.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2010, 11:14:56 PM

I'd say that would be unusual for an entry level position.

I think it depends on the industry.

Syt

Never heard of that for entry level positions. Unless you apply at a multi-billion international supercorp, maybe.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2010, 11:34:13 PMNever heard of that for entry level positions. Unless you apply at a multi-billion international supercorp, maybe.
Hmm. When I was looking for an entry-level position last year, I only applied at big multinationals and they all paid my travel expenses and a hotel for the interviews.

Richard Hakluyt

A lot of UK employers will pay travel expenses, but not all.

I would say that your accent (unless the interviewers find it unintelligible) will not be a problem; most people in London have appalling accents anyway.

As for the desirability of living in London; IMO Tyr you have a chip on your shoulder about the South and "posh" people. That is a nasty thing and could easily be cured by a few years of metropolitan life. With that done you can either stay or lead a live of provincial retirement with equanimity.

Brazen

What the others said. Reply direct to the email telling them you're in Sweden and won't be able to fly out for the interview. They will almost certainly do a telephone interview and, depending on the type of role, a written test you can submit.

Back in the day, they used to pay for graduates to attend interview, knowing they would be poor, but I suspect those days are over.

I've got jobs through telephone interviews having never attended in person, and I had to do a teleconference interview with someone in the US before, which was weird. If you've never done it before, do practice. Get someone to call you up and ask questions like, "Tell me about your background. Why do you think you're suitable for this job? Tell me about a time you solved a problem." etc.

Don't worry about London - hardly anyone who lives here is from London anyway :P Also, there's very affordable shared accommodation available, if that was one of your worries.

Brazen

Also, email today, then if you haven't had a reply on Monday morning, call them too.

Josquius

hmm, OK, so I'll mail them back saing great offer, big shame though; I'm still in Sweden and a  flight to London at such short notice is out of my price range.
Should I mention alternatives like teleconferencing interviews or would that be me assuming they want me too much?

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2010, 02:26:48 AM
As for the desirability of living in London; IMO Tyr you have a chip on your shoulder about the South and "posh" people. That is a nasty thing and could easily be cured by a few years of metropolitan life. With that done you can either stay or lead a live of provincial retirement with equanimity.

Its more the opposite actually.
I'm not big on the idea of living in a huge, rought inhuman hive with a 2+ hour daily commute where I'll be stabbed, blown up or just plain robbed and pay through the nose for the priveledge.
That's the general perception the media gives of London anyway. I know I exagerrate but...I do fear for those things somewhat.
But anyway, that's besides the point and getting way too ahead of myself.

But they don't know how provincial he is.
Whats your obsession with provinciality? I'm one of the least provincial people around.
Not liking the idea of one particular city != not liking the idea of going anywhere else at all.
Besides, I've checked up about this company: their boss is Scotch and the hiring bloke is from York. They're my people :p
██████
██████
██████

Eochaid

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2010, 04:30:32 PM
The only negative factor about it is its in London but...well you can't have everything. I have always said that it doesn't matter where I work for my first 2 years as long as I work, I just need that magic 2 then I can have my pick of jobs. I'm doubtful about my prospects post uni so if I got this job I would definitely brave London.

London is awesome. It has so many different neighbourhoods that I'm sure you'll find one to suit you.

Kevin
It's been a while

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2010, 04:52:07 AM
hmm, OK, so I'll mail them back saing great offer, big shame though; I'm still in Sweden and a  flight to London at such short notice is out of my price range.
Should I mention alternatives like teleconferencing interviews or would that be me assuming they want me too much?

Definitely offer to do teleconferencing interviews, phone interviews etc.  You want to sound like you are making every effort and beyond to make this work.  And don't use words like "out of my price range" or "such short notice".  You want this job more than they want you.  Forget the short notice part, it is not relevant.  Say you'd really love to meet them in person and would buy the first train ticket to wherever they are - if you're not a poor student living in Sweden.  They'd understand. 

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on March 25, 2010, 04:59:01 AM
Definitely offer to do teleconferencing interviews, phone interviews etc.  You want to sound like you are making every effort and beyond to make this work.  And don't use words like "out of my price range" or "such short notice".  You want this job more than they want you.  Forget the short notice part, it is not relevant.  Say you'd really love to meet them in person and would buy the first train ticket to wherever they are - if you're not a poor student living in Sweden.  They'd understand. 
But then why aren't I hopping on the next plane to meet them if its not that I can't afford it?
Offering alternatives is good...OK, will do that.
Am going to reply in a hour once I've woken up properly.
██████
██████
██████