News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Life is a cat toying with a mouse

Started by Josquius, March 24, 2010, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

At the moment my emotions are a twisted mess of happiness and sadness.

I applied for a job on Monday, I saw it on the internet, knocked up my CV and sent it off all in one big five hour, painkiller fueled (just coming off a minor flu/cold thing) sitting. The job is exactly the sort of thing I want to do after university, just ideal. The only negative factor about it is its in London but...well you can't have everything. I have always said that it doesn't matter where I work for my first 2 years as long as I work, I just need that magic 2 then I can have my pick of jobs. I'm doubtful about my prospects post uni so if I got this job I would definitely brave London.

Come 30 minutes ago and I check my email- holy crap a reply from the company. They want to meet me.
This is unexpected, I know I'm perfectly fitted for the job and all that but...yeah. Never expected it all to happen so fast.
The problem?
They want to me to contact them back with what time is best for me...what time before easter that is.
And did I mention this company is in London?
And I'm somewhere north of Stockholm?

Checking ryanair, norwegian airlines and the like I'd be blowing a huge chunk of money to get over there, and all just for an interview- getting my CV accepted preliminarily is the easy part, the interview is where they truly decide whether I'd be good for the role or if someone else would be better.

I'm really torn and confused. My financial situation is not great, I have just about enough to survive until I finish in June and can get home to start collecting dole payments. Yet this job is what I want...
I should really probally reply to the guy tomorrow about this too...big pressure...Damn....
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

So did you want them to accept you without an interview? :P

Barrister

Odds are they didn't realize you were in Sweden.

Contact them and explain your plight.  They might pay for your trip to and from (I've had an potential employer do that once, although not right out of university).

They might agree to a phone interview (I got my current job through a phone interview).

They might give you more time to come down to London for an interview as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Video conference interviews over the web seem to be gaining popularity with employers for just this reason.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: sbr on March 24, 2010, 04:40:38 PM
Video conference interviews over the web seem to be gaining popularity with employers for just this reason.

True. Of course, you could always just show up for the interview and tell them when you arrive that you came in from Sweden just for this. They'd be impressed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 24, 2010, 04:55:16 PM

True. Of course, you could always just show up for the interview and tell them when you arrive that you came in from Sweden just for this. They'd be impressed.

Yep, that would be very impressive. 

It depends on the interview process,obviously.  I would think you would have to have at least on face-to-face with your potential future employer before being hired, but if this is a multi-interview process I would hate to see him blow his whole financial "load" to get to an introductory interview only to not be able to afford to go back in a month for a final interview.

Lucidor

Quote from: sbr on March 24, 2010, 05:04:37 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 24, 2010, 04:55:16 PM
Call or mail the man, explaining your situation.

Yep, that would be very impressive. 

It depends on the interview process,obviously.  I would think you would have to have at least on face-to-face with your potential future employer before being hired, but if this is a multi-interview process I would hate to see him blow his whole financial "load" to get to an introductory interview only to not be able to afford to go back in a month for a final interview.

Richard Hakluyt

What Barrister said.

Ring them up and talk about it. Chances are that they are not deranged sadistic lunatics and will be sympathetic to your situation. If you are one of a shortish list of "strong" candidates they might well pay for your expenses as BB says. Alternatively, if it is a preliminary interview to confirm that you are not a total fool, then they may be amenable to an initial phone interview.

Admiral Yi

Email, don't call.  You don't want to scotch your chances by exposing them to your chavish patois.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2010, 06:44:33 PM
Email, don't call.  You don't want to scotch your chances by exposing them to your chavish patois.

This.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

He's gonna have to talk eventually...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

They know he's British.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Email or phone doesn't really matter, but you should let them know you're in Sweden.  I don't suggest just showing up, because it may well be a multi-interview process. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.