Help Building a Computer

Started by Faeelin, March 23, 2010, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So I'm helping a friend build a computer. We thought we had it all together, but when we turn on the power and plut it in the computer doesn't start up. The fan on the power supply itself doesn't even start up when we turn it on!

How do I figure out what's going on?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Faeelin on March 23, 2010, 11:35:54 PM
So I'm helping a friend build a computer. We thought we had it all together, but when we turn on the power and plut it in the computer doesn't start up. The fan on the power supply itself doesn't even start up when we turn it on!

How do I figure out what's going on?

Bear with me, I haven't built on in a while and I'm falling asleep atm.  If the PSU isn't firing up, well...make sure it's plugged in and turned on first ( ;) ).   Really, I'd start by checking the little wire from the motherboard to the power button on the case.  Those little things are easy to screw up.  Make sure that's in there correctly.  If it is, move back and make sure the PSU -> motherboard connection is nice and tight.  Then of course, eyeball the back of the PSU and make sure it's on...uh....115 or whatever volts, and make sure the switch on the back of the PSU is in the on position. 

I'm way too tired I accidentally submitted this like halfway through the post.  :hmm:

Edit:  When I say "little wire from mobo to case," I mean these, or something like them:

Faeelin

I don't see a 110/220 volt switch in the power supply unit.

It's weird. The motherboard is getting some power. Phase 1 LED is lighting up. Phase 2 is yellow. And that's it.

Grey Fox

Change outlet, bypass the extension cord thing, use a different power cord.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

I never manage to get the front panel connectors plugged in correctly the first time.  Did you guys double-check with the motherboard manual that you're connecting them to the correct pins?  If it doesn't work, try reversing the polarity of the power switch-- I can never remember which is + and which is -.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

ASUS boards always come with these little doohickeys that you plug the front wires in to, and then plug into the mobo with as a guide.  In fact they look just like the thing in the pic a few posts back.  Since I started getting those, I never once messed up a front panel wiring job.  Also, does the board have a power switch directly on it?  About half of the boards I've worked with do, so you can quickly figure out if it's a wiring problem or perhaps something worse.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2010, 01:21:40 PM
ASUS boards always come with these little doohickeys that you plug the front wires in to, and then plug into the mobo with as a guide.  In fact they look just like the thing in the pic a few posts back.  Since I started getting those, I never once messed up a front panel wiring job.  Also, does the board have a power switch directly on it?  About half of the boards I've worked with do, so you can quickly figure out if it's a wiring problem or perhaps something worse.

:huh:  None of the three Asus boards I've used had anything like that.  Must be something for their higher end mobos.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Hmmm, I've definitely gotten them with an ASUS Commando, and an ASUS P5D and a P5D Deluxe.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2010, 07:47:10 PM
Hmmm, I've definitely gotten them with an ASUS Commando, and an ASUS P5D and a P5D Deluxe.

I had two P4x's, and my current mobo is a P7H55M-Pro.  Never saw the adapter thingie, though it would've been pretty helpful.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2010, 01:21:40 PM
Yep.  I have gotten those as well.  ASUS doesn't send them to people on its "asshole doesn't deserve it" list, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I was going to say front panel wiring, since the mobo is lit up.  However, it seems like everyone already said it, so I don't have to repeat it.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2010, 08:53:22 AM
Yep.  I have gotten those as well.  ASUS doesn't send them to people on its "asshole doesn't deserve it" list, though.

:punk:  Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces...

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2010, 11:08:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2010, 08:53:22 AM

:punk:  Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces...
That's pretty classless.  The handicapped spaces are only for those who are physically handicapped.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2010, 07:15:49 PM
That's pretty classless.  The handicapped spaces are only for those who are physically handicapped.

OUCH

Faeelin

Sorry to dredge this up, but it's for the same computer. It's worked fine for a long time, but apparently  now it isn't starting up once more. The computer will turn on, the fan will start up, and then it will shut down.

This sounds like a circuit problem to me, but I could be mistaken. Does anyone have any thoughts?