iMac - When is it worth to replace it?

Started by Martinus, May 06, 2011, 02:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I have an iMac I bought in January 2009 and it is getting a bit slow although WoW is still playable on low settings. So looking for an advice from you people (especially all the Mac buffs) whether it is a good time or still too early to replace it? I heard that the new line of iMacs is entering stores right now so probably the next will be only next year unless I misheard something.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 02:28:51 AM
I have an iMac I bought in January 2009 and it is getting a bit slow although WoW is still playable on low settings. So looking for an advice from you people (especially all the Mac buffs) whether it is a good time or still too early to replace it? I heard that the new line of iMacs is entering stores right now so probably the next will be only next year unless I misheard something.

New iMacs are pretty good indeed and a better buy than MacBook Pros.

katmai

yeah the new imacs look nice, sadly i need the portability of the laptop.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

There are very few differences in the case between '09 and now.  Buying a new iMac would give you a quad core processor, ratehr than a Core2, but honestly I don't think you'd notice much of an upgrade.

If your Mac is feeling slow look into getting more RAM for it, or maybe a new, larger harddrive.  Both should make it feel a bit snappier.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 09:22:19 AM
There are very few differences in the case between '09 and now.  Buying a new iMac would give you a quad core processor, ratehr than a Core2, but honestly I don't think you'd notice much of an upgrade.

If your Mac is feeling slow look into getting more RAM for it, or maybe a new, larger harddrive.  Both should make it feel a bit snappier.

If I bought my iMac in January 2009, it's the version introduced in 2007. Are you sure the one introduced last week is not a big jump by comparison?

Grey Fox

I think the time is when you start wondering about wheter it's the time or not.

Upgrade Upgrade!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 09:22:19 AM

If I bought my iMac in January 2009, it's the version introduced in 2007. Are you sure the one introduced last week is not a big jump by comparison?

I double checked the specs before posting.  It'll have a faster processor, but unless you're editing video or photos you're probably not maxing out your processor anyways.

But I did neglect one possible reson to upgrade - screen size.  The 27" iMac is massive, and beautiful.  That by itself might be a valid reason to upgrade.

But faster processor?  Nah, I don't really see it unless you got money to burn.

Iormlund

I have an iMac I bought in January 2009 and it is getting a bit slow although WoW is still playable on low settings.
I really hope you are kidding me here. I can play WoW perfectly well with a 3 yo Windows PC that cost me half what a Mac would have. And that's loaded with DBM, Quartz, VuhDo, Gladius, Auctioneer, PowerAuras, ForteXsorcist, Omen, Recount, NPCScan ...

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on May 06, 2011, 01:05:05 PM
I have an iMac I bought in January 2009 and it is getting a bit slow although WoW is still playable on low settings.
I really hope you are kidding me here. I can play WoW perfectly well with a 3 yo Windows PC that cost me half what a Mac would have. And that's loaded with DBM, Quartz, VuhDo, Gladius, Auctioneer, PowerAuras, ForteXsorcist, Omen, Recount, NPCScan ...

I suspect he is exagerating quite a bit, but that being said:

A: Macs have worse graphics drivers; and
B: traditionally haven't had strong video cards (though they're much better now)

That being said I still think Marty would get more bang for his buck by more RAM.

jamesww

vapid consumerism WTF.

grumbler

Quote from: jamesww on May 06, 2011, 04:32:01 PM
Quote from: jamesww on May 06, 2011, 04:31:43 PM

vapid consumerism WTF.

:P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 12:04:14 PMThe 27" iMac is massive, and beautiful.  That by itself might be a valid reason to upgrade.

They really are quite nice.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Arvoreen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 10, 2011, 06:26:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 12:04:14 PMThe 27" iMac is massive, and beautiful.  That by itself might be a valid reason to upgrade.

They really are quite nice.

My wife is loving the one I got her.... :D

BuddhaRhubarb

When you can't play whatever generation of Civ is out. (I can't play 5 on my 2009 mini. :(
:p