Question for the lawyers: how many reported decisions do you have?

Started by Barrister, March 22, 2010, 07:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

After Wiggin called me a 'media whore' I got to wondering.

By typing my name into a Quicklaw (quite similar to westlaw), I can find 46 reported cases that I have done (39 with my full name, 7 with initials).  I get 39 total on the slightly less complete (but free) Canlii.org.

But I'm not actually certain how that compares - is that a lot, or very few, compared to other practice areas, other jurisdictions.

So guys - how many reported cases do you have?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Reported doesnt quite mean what it used to.  These days almost every decision that is written can be found in the QL database.

So do you mean reported as in a third party law publisher editorial board has deemed the case important enough to put in their print versions - like the DLRs or something like that.  Or do you mean reported in the sense that you can find it on QL?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2010, 07:11:52 PM
Reported doesnt quite mean what it used to.  These days almost every decision that is written can be found in the QL database.

So do you mean reported as in a third party law publisher editorial board has deemed the case important enough to put in their print versions - like the DLRs or something like that.  Or do you mean reported in the sense that you can find it on QL?

If you have access to the number of cases reported by a legal publisher then by all means tell me.  But I don't expect anyone to spend more than 30 seconds trying to figure it out, so typing your name into  something like QL is probably easier to find.

Martinus

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2010, 07:06:51 PM

0.  It should be 1, but the court fucked up the notice of appearance.  There are another couple for other cases I was involved with but also never appeared in.

The 97 percent of civil cases that settle rarely result in a reported opinion.

EDIT:  Of course, if you just put my name in, you get like 50 hits, it being somewhat common.

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on March 22, 2010, 07:17:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2010, 07:06:51 PM

0.  It should be 1, but the court fucked up the notice of appearance.  There are another couple for other cases I was involved with but also never appeared in.

The 97 percent of civil cases that settle rarely result in a reported opinion.

Why did I not know you were a member of the cabal?   :huh:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2010, 07:19:53 PM
Why did I not know you were a member of the cabal?   :huh:

Poor observational skills?   :P

I certainly haven't hidden the fact, although I haven't really trumpeted it either.  And we've discussed various legal issues back and forth over the past year or so.

Barrister

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2010, 07:16:03 PM
But I don't expect anyone to spend more than 30 seconds trying to figure it out, so typing your name into  something like QL is probably easier to find.

Just look at all the cites for the cases that come up in the search where your name comes up.  Also, you will know if your case has been reported because the reporting publisher will contact you to tell you it is being reported and they ask for some other details, like whether the case is being appealed etc.

Malthus

Although I have never done much litigation, QL comes up with nine hits (some are multiples). Three cases have been reported in the OR's.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Over 20 hits relating to 10 cases (some larger cases have multiple orders).

This does not include any of the state court cases (attorney names are often not specifically identified in the reports) which would add about another 10 cases or so.  And obviously it doesn't include any of the ADR dispositions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson