News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

They should do what Pittsburgh does - build up young players in the farm system, then trade them away. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Strix

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 11:07:42 AM
I don't know from Baltimore, but in KC's case they just gave up.  They are happy to take revenue sharing, put a bare minimum on the field, and make a tidy profit doing it.

Baltimore is the worst run organization in possibly Pro Sports. From the top down the whole organization is in shambles. They alienated a long and storied relationship with the Rochester Red Wings (AAA team). They have continually hired either incompetent managers and GMs or they handicap them to the point they flee the organization. They throw bad money after bad money on lousy free agents that are past their prime (or never had one). They do have some talent in the minors but usually end up trading it away or letting it go.

There is not one thing that the Orioles do right. Even the Royals and Pirates have some good things about them or at least have a plan behind their actions.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Kleves

The Orioles still managed to fleece Bill Bavasi in the Eric Bedard trade. :contract:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2010, 11:48:01 AM
Baltimore is the worst run organization in possibly Pro Sports.

Again I'm going to have to raise you the Phoenix Coyotes.  They moved to Phoenix in 1997.  Since then they have NEVER TURNED A PROFIT.  In a league where half the teams make the playoffs, this is their first time in the post season since 2002 (or was it 03)?  They were so bad the owner walked away from them and had the league take them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 16, 2010, 11:06:46 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2010, 11:00:52 AM
In both Baltimore's and KC's cases, how much of it is bad decision-making and how much of it is the size of their markets?

Baltimore used to punch above their weight because of the DC market.

For years Peter Angelos spent a fortune on Baltimore's payroll--they were one of the top spending teams in MLB--and they sucked. Now they don't spend as much and they still suck. But I think the previous situation is an argument for Baltimore.

Thank you!  Even I knew the moves he made in the late 90s were horrible moves.  Everybody did.  And he never stopped making horrible moves.  This has been the worst decade since the Orioles were the St. Louis Browns and they are rapidly obtaining the same reputation for hilarious incompetence on the field and pitiful management off it.  At least Bill Veeck was entertaining unlike Angelos. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 12:01:35 PM
Again I'm going to have to raise you the Phoenix Coyotes.  They moved to Phoenix in 1997.  Since then they have NEVER TURNED A PROFIT.  In a league where half the teams make the playoffs, this is their first time in the post season since 2002 (or was it 03)?  They were so bad the owner walked away from them and had the league take them.

And yet the league will not move them back to Winnipeg...but the NHL is the worst run major sports league in North America so that is not surprising.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sophie Scholl

Baltimore is the worst run organization in possibly Pro Sports.

I throw down a hand of trump and win by going with the New York Knicks.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2010, 12:04:01 PM

And yet the league will not move them back to Winnipeg...but the NHL is the worst run major sports league in North America so that is not surprising.

Yeah, that's just Bettman's ego - he fought Balsillie so hard he has to try and keep them in Phoenix now.  But I've been reading - the so-called deal to keep them there is anything but solid...

Admiral Yi

There is not one thing that the Orioles do right.
Build nice stadiums.

Admiral Yi

Whe the hell are the Phoenix Coyotes?  What sport do they play? :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2010, 12:26:51 PM
Whe the hell are the Phoenix Coyotes?  What sport do they play? :huh:

:blink:

I can understand you likely don't follow the sport, but to not have heard of the team?

They're in the NHL.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2010, 12:26:14 PM
There is not one thing that the Orioles do right.
Build nice stadiums.

Angelos would have epically failed at that also.  Fortunately the previous management got that done before he showed up.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 12:44:45 PM
:blink:

I can understand you likely don't follow the sport, but to not have heard of the team?

They're in the NHL.

How old is the franchise? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 12:44:45 PM

They're in the NHL.
Name all the teams in the US soccer league.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2010, 01:13:22 PM
How old is the franchise? :yeahright:

They are the ex-Winnipeg Jets, moved there in a desperate attempt to elevate the NHL to the levels of the NBA.