And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 10:55:26 AM
The Empire Strikes Back  :yeah:
It's only a matter of time before the Return of the Jedi.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

I would just like to point out the Orioles are only 15 games out of the Wild Card!  :)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 27, 2009, 11:21:54 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 10:55:26 AM
The Empire Strikes Back  :yeah:
It's only a matter of time before the Return of the Jedi.

The Cubs?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

:yeahright: I say no. It should be a lifetime ban. Once he passes away, then you can lift the ban and let him get in the hall. Same for Shoeless Joe Jackson, he's dead, what's the point of keeping him out of the hall?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4358260

QuoteMLB commissioner Bud Selig appears to be "seriously considering" reinstatement for Pete Rose nearly 20 years after the hit king was banned from baseball for gambling on the sport, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

Hank Aaron's support for Rose's Hall of Fame inclusion, which he mentioned at this weekend's ceremonies in Cooperstown, N.Y., is a strong indication of Selig's possible action, the Daily News reported.

"I would like to see Pete in," Aaron said. "He belongs there."

Lobbying for the move began five years ago but died when Selig became convinced Rose was not "reconfiguring" his life, the newspaper report said, part of the late commissioner Bart Giamatti's demands on Rose when he was ruled ineligible.

"I think a lot of the guys feel that it's been 20 years now for Pete, and would lean toward leniency and time served," an unnamed Hall of Famer said, according to the Daily News. "If he had admitted it in the first place and apologized way back then, he'd probably be in the Hall by now."

If Rose were to become eligible, it stands to reason he would have to be voted into the Hall of Fame by the 65 living members that make up the Veterans Committee.

Inclusion on the writers' ballot expires after 15 years, though Rose has never appeared on their ballot except by write-in. During his first year of eligibility, Rose received 41 write-in votes.

"I know there are still guys who feel strongly against him," said another Hall of Famer, according to the report. "And I don't know if that would change even if Selig clears him."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

That would suck I loved having that fugly lying asshole banned.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 11:59:58 AM

Noted.   <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 11:59:58 AM

Indeed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Tim, Valmy and Beeb are hereby on the Ed Anger Big Red Machine shit list.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Shoeless Joe should never make it into the Hall.

I don't recall Rose's particulars, but if he ever bet against the Reds I'd say the same for him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 27, 2009, 03:44:29 PM

The Big Red Machine sucked, Brooks Robinson beat them single handedly.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 03:55:47 PM

I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU ANYMORE.

Barrister

I have nothing against the Big Red Machine.  My disdain is reserved solely for that lying piece of shit Pete Rose.  It was bad enough that he bet on baseball, but worse that he has lied about it so many times over so many years.   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 04:39:24 PM

I have nothing against the Big Red Machine.  My disdain is reserved solely for that lying piece of shit Pete Rose.  It was bad enough that he bet on baseball, but worse that he has lied about it so many times over so many years.   :mad:

USE AQUA VELVA.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 03:55:47 PM

Big deal-- that was the first year of the Machine.  They won the greatest World Series of all time, against one of the most annoying franchises of all time :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2009, 10:45:09 PM
Big deal-- that was the first year of the Machine.  They won the greatest World Series of all time, against one of the most annoying franchises of all time :contract:

Yeah but it was Earl Weaver's only moment of glory so therefore I have to play it up for all its worth.