News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Opera

Started by Sheilbh, March 19, 2010, 07:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Just got back from the ENO's production of Satyagraha by Philip Glass.  After poor seats in the Verona ampitheatre I thought opera was dead to me.  Now I'm a convert. 

I've had a few (very few) experiences in my life when I read book or see a film or play, or go to an exhibition and I leave shaky and overwhelmed.  I've just been through one more of them.  I can't really describe it terribly well.

But I'm now really excited about the prospect of diving into something I don't really know much about and can't wait to burrow down into it.

So, anyone have any recommendations of productions or recordings or books or anything?  Or any similar experiences.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Sorry, I use firefox.

Scipio

Highjack in one.  And it's not even a homo highjack.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

She needs to ditch that Stedman fellow and just admit she's a lesbo with that Gail broad.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

Scipio

There used to be a series of value recordings that were live analogs of performances.  I've bought about six of them over the years, and I gave them to my parents.  Just amazing stuff; von Karajan conducting Don Giovanni, and some other shit.  Just awesome.  I prefer the recordings of full performances; I've got a Carmen by Grace Bumbry which is just dynamite.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Dog-Opera-Library-Deluxe/dp/157912514X

Is a great starter piece.  It's sort of a great books, great performances opera collection.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

I like Wagner.  The Ring cycle is something i'd love to see live one day.  It would take a while, but be worth it.

Die Fleidermous is another one. 
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 19, 2010, 10:01:47 PM
I like Wagner.  The Ring cycle is something i'd love to see live one day. 

They ran it at the State Opera a couple of times recently. Of course the cheapest option was 200 EUR for all four nights, but that would mean hardly seeing anything. Decent seating at State Opera starts at 70 or 90 (depending on production) per evening.

And they get subsidies to keep the prices down.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

citizen k

As an aside, Philip Glass will be performing here in Spokane:

http://www.foxtheaterspokane.com/event_detail.aspx?ID=192

QuoteFOX PRESENTS Philip Glass in a performance of The Etudes and Other Works for Solo Piano

Wednesday, March 31, 2010
7:30pm

Simultaneously stirring and meditative, an evening of Philip Glass' solo piano is a rare opportunity to experience this influential composer's work firsthand.  Debuting a program that features his most recent Etudes for piano as well as classics in Glass' repertoire, this concert provides a glimpse into the intricacies of the composer's work in its most elemental form.  Speaking from the piano bench, Glass personally introduces the program.  An intimate and unique look at a visionary at work, this evening will provide a fond re-acquaintance for Glass fans and a perfect introduction for new audiences.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2010, 12:13:04 AM
They ran it at the State Opera a couple of times recently. Of course the cheapest option was 200 EUR for all four nights, but that would mean hardly seeing anything. Decent seating at State Opera starts at 70 or 90 (depending on production) per evening.

And they get subsidies to keep the prices down.
:bleeding:  Good seats at the English National start at £18.  I went for the barely decent ones at £16 and learned my lesson.  If you book stand-bys on the day they can be even cheaper.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Stand by is also an option. As is standing (12 EUR ... but who can stand for the duration of a Wagner opera?) or vision obstructed seats (30something).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Actually I think the most expensive seats (stalls) are only £50.  To get to Austrian prices you'd probably have to take a box for the night :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2010, 10:28:07 AM
Actually I think the most expensive seats (stalls) are only £50.  To get to Austrian prices you'd probably have to take a box for the night :mellow:

Well, there's alternatives, of course, like Theater an der Wien or Volksoper which are cheaper, but also usually have lighter stuff and operettas. Just like you don't have to go to Musikverein to listen to decent classical music (though Musikverein's prices are ok).
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Scipio on March 19, 2010, 07:12:49 PM
Highjack in one.  And it's not even a homo highjack.

Give Marti a break.  It takes a lot of time and energy tackling all violent wrong doers while at the same time evading the mobs of angry Poles hunting down gays.  He cant be here to highjack every thread with his homophobic inducing rants.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2010, 10:31:38 AM
Well, there's alternatives, of course, like Theater an der Wien or Volksoper which are cheaper, but also usually have lighter stuff and operettas. Just like you don't have to go to Musikverein to listen to decent classical music (though Musikverein's prices are ok).
Yeah I've read a bit now and don't think I'm comparing like to like.  Apparently the ENO is all about modern (20th century) opera, or updated productions (they often get Jonathan Miller to direct for example) and cheaper tickets.  The Royal Opera House ticket prices are a lot more similar to what you're describing.
Let's bomb Russia!