News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I reenlisted for 3 more years

Started by Siege, March 18, 2010, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 24, 2010, 08:24:49 AM

In the Army Reserve it can be pretty easy to get a commission.  A few years ago they were trying to give me a direct commission, but I declined, repeatedly.  There is nothing worse than an old butterbar.

Is a "direct commission" one in which you don't have to go to officer school?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2010, 10:25:03 AM
Could Siegy be made an officer without going to school if he performs some act of insane (but justified by circumstances) bravery in battle and survives?

Why would I want to be an officer?

Their only chance to do something valuable is while they are platoon leaders, and that last less than a year. Leutenants have to do a lot of friggin staff jobs before getting promoted to Captain. As captains, they get to be company commanders for 1 year, then they got to do more staff jobs, then, if they are on track, and have a masters degree, they go to some academy that is required to become a Major. I think is called Field Officers Academy or something along those lines. And company commanders have zero chance of actually firing their weapons in combat.

To be an officer, you have to like warfare from a diferent point of view, a more intellectual point of view. Very rewarding, but is just not the same.

They get the big bucks, though.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 09:18:51 AM

In the Army Reserve it can be pretty easy to get a commission.  A few years ago they were trying to give me a direct commission, but I declined, repeatedly.  There is nothing worse than an old butterbar.

Everybody have to go to some sort school.
NCOs have to go to the NCO Academy for every rank we get.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Could Siegy be made an officer without going to school if he performs some act of insane

He's a lock!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Hans would make a good officer.  He brags a lot, thinks he's always right, and has his head stuck up his ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Siege on March 24, 2010, 09:37:01 AM
Could Siegy be made an officer without going to school if he performs some act of insane (but justified by circumstances) bravery in battle and survives?

Their only chance to do something valuable is while they are platoon leaders, and that last less than a year. Leutenants have to do a lot of friggin staff jobs before getting promoted to Captain. As captains, they get to be company commanders for 1 year, then they got to do more staff jobs, then, if they are on track, and have a masters degree, they go to some academy that is required to become a Major. I think is called Field Officers Academy or something along those lines. And company commanders have zero chance of actually firing their weapons in combat.

To be an officer, you have to like warfare from a diferent point of view, a more intellectual point of view. Very rewarding, but is just not the same.

My impression is that no-one in the military makes much in the way of money, though the benefits can be nice.

Seems that there is a general feeling among NCOs that being an officer isn't worth it.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I took ROTC classes and tried to be an officer.  Then they found out I was crazy and that nixed that.  Standards have lowered since then, they let in Siege.  But I think it's to late anyway.  Oh well.  Would have been cool though.

"See this medal baby?  The ones that says 'For good conduct'?  I got that one uhh killing a man with my bare hands.".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

This reminds me, I will hit my 20 years of reserve time in 3 years, I feel old now, thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Alcibiades

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 09:55:18 AM

My impression is that no-one in the military makes much in the way of money, though the benefits can be nice.

Seems that there is a general feeling among NCOs that being an officer isn't worth it.

As a butterbar with 3 year experience ill be making something like 55k starting out with full benefits.  After 3 more years its like 65k.  And if you deploy and its all non-taxable?   :worthy:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Hansmeister

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 09:18:51 AM

Yes, you get to skip going to OCS and get a commission without going to school.  They only allow that in the Reserve and National Guard.  You basically go in front of a Board for an interview and if you're selected you pin on your bars without anything else.  Since I was friends with the majority of board members I would have been a lock, but that's just not something I wanted to do.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 09:55:18 AM

Actually the pay is very good, particularly if you adjust for the different tax treatments.  My adjusted pay is equal to $83,000 in the civilian sector, and this of course does not count healthcare and retirement benefits.  Plus I qualify for some other benefits such as a $300 per month childcare subsidy, etc.

Alcibiades

I thought you were a GS 14 or something.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 24, 2010, 05:42:13 PM
I thought you were a GS 14 or something.
I had a GS-9 position for a short time and was offered a GS-12 job (as Safety Officer  :yuk:)  but decided I much rather remain a Soldier (better paid too).