News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I reenlisted for 3 more years

Started by Siege, March 18, 2010, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

There are several routes, but the most popular is going to college, attaining a four year degree while attending Reserve Officers' Training Corps.  Basically you learn the ins and outs of the military over four years focusing on the basics and the lower ranks in the first years to more advanced stuff and higher ranking responsibilities by the fourth year.  Included are field problems, courses you have to take over the summer etc.  After your junior year you attend a month long course that tests you on everything and plays a major role in what you will be branched.  Following your senior year you are commissioned and attend 'school' for what ever branch of the army you were tasked with, taking 9 months to over 2 years in some cases.

Siegy could potentially become an officer, doing the same route I did, but it's an ass-load of work.  He'd have to be accepted to a school, get a ton of recommendations, and fill out ridiculous amounts of paperwork. 

So it's doubtful.   :P

He wouldn't want to any way.  Much easier to just stay where you are, which is how most people get stuck in a rut in the military.   :ph34r:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

Siegy likes to kill people, he's afraid of not being able to do that.

With you being already in the Army, why are they paying you to become an officer that way? Couldn't they just commission you without the trouble of paying for your college education?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 09:49:12 AM
There are several routes, but the most popular is going to college, attaining a four year degree while attending Reserve Officers' Training Corps.  Basically you learn the ins and outs of the military over four years focusing on the basics and the lower ranks in the first years to more advanced stuff and higher ranking responsibilities by the fourth year.  Included are field problems, courses you have to take over the summer etc.  After your junior year you attend a month long course that tests you on everything and plays a major role in what you will be branched.  Following your senior year you are commissioned and attend 'school' for what ever branch of the army you were tasked with, taking 9 months to over 2 years in some cases.

Siegy could potentially become an officer, doing the same route I did, but it's an ass-load of work.  He'd have to be accepted to a school, get a ton of recommendations, and fill out ridiculous amounts of paperwork. 

He wouldn't want to any way.  Much easier to just stay where you are, which is how most people get stuck in a rut in the military.   :ph34r:

Could Siegy be made an officer without going to school if he performs some act of insane (but justified by circumstances) bravery in battle and survives?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Alcibiades

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2010, 09:56:11 AM
Siegy likes to kill people, he's afraid of not being able to do that.

With you being already in the Army, why are they paying you to become an officer that way? Couldn't they just commission you without the trouble of paying for your college education?

Need an education, officers are supposed to be smart pipple.  Not that it is necessarily always the case.
Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2010, 10:25:03 AM
Could Siegy be made an officer without going to school if he performs some act of insane (but justified by circumstances) bravery in battle and survives?

Nope, think WW2 was the last time that was an option?  :hmm:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Malthus

While we have the answers a-flowing -- what about promotion of officers? Is it possible under the US system to have a general who is also reasonably young, if they are a military genius? Does the promotion system recoginize budding Nelsons and Wellingtons, or do you mostly get guys who are good office managers?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Alcibiades

There are time requirements for rank which are easily google-able.

In addition to just time requirements, you have to have a lot of pre-requisite positions doing different dutys.  And then once you're past Captain, I believe, it's all Department of Defense mandated.  And once you are up for brigadier general, good luck.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/promotions/l/blofficerprom.htm
You can't get more "political" than promotions to general officer (also known as "Flag Officer"). General Officers (Flag Officers) are those in the paygrades of O-7 through O-10. Fewer than one percent of career officers will ever be promoted to Flag Rank.

O-7 - One Star. Brigadier General. Rear Admiral (Lower Half) in the Navy/Coast Guard
O-8 - Two Stars. Major General. Rear Admiral (Upper Half) in the Navy/Coast Guard
O-9 - Three Stars. Lieutenant General. Vice Admiral in the Navy/Coast Guard
O-10 - Four Stars. General. Admiral in the Navy/Coast Guard
General officers are nominated for promotion by the President of the United States, and confirmed by the Senate. You can't get more "political" than that. The services hold in-service promotion boards to recommend officers for general officer promotion to the President. When vacancies occur (a general officer gets promoted or retires), the President nominates officers to be promoted from these lists (with advice from the Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the applicable service, and the Service Chief of Staff/Commandant)

Syt

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 09:07:57 AM
Because the professionalism of the NCO corp has decreased to sickening levels?

Gotta love the new 'battlefield promotions'. 

It's a joke.  And you will salute me.   :nelson:

"We salute the rank, not the man."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 10:47:31 AM
Need an education, officers are supposed to be smart pipple. Not that it is necessarily always the case.

As a joe who works with O-5s and O-6s on a daily basis, this is absolutely true.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

So when Alci gradudates, he is going to outrank every member of the military services in languish? 

katmai

Well Otto who still pops in once in a while and grumbles both were of higher ranks but are both retired.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

I believe Admiral Yi has the highest rank on the forum.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 09:07:57 AM
Because the professionalism of the NCO corp has decreased to sickening levels?

Gotta love the new 'battlefield promotions'. 

It's a joke.  And you will salute me.   :nelson:
Elaborate. Surely Siege and Hans are not representative.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2010, 10:25:03 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 09:49:12 AM

That only happens in a major war when casualties are consistently heavy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on March 24, 2010, 12:21:29 AM
Well Otto who still pops in once in a while and grumbles both were of higher ranks but are both retired.
What rank was Otto?

One of the teachers at my school is a Captain in the reserve and is in charge of 14 tanks.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Alcibiades

I'm pretty sure they were all enlisted, so I would outrank them all.    :ph34r: