And we're back!

Main Menu

I reenlisted for 3 more years

Started by Siege, March 18, 2010, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2010, 01:16:10 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 09:07:57 AM
Because the professionalism of the NCO corp has decreased to sickening levels?

Gotta love the new 'battlefield promotions'. 

It's a joke.  And you will salute me.   :nelson:
Elaborate. Surely Siege and Hans are not representative.

They are not.  Siege is crazy, and Hans is political.  Neither is allowed, normally.   :D
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Monoriu

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 24, 2010, 02:02:51 AM
I'm pretty sure they were all enlisted, so I would outrank them all.    :ph34r:

So how long until you are an officer?

Eddie Teach

Not Otto, he went to West Point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2010, 02:37:22 AM

Grumbler was an officer as well wasn't he?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Eddie Teach

Grumbler was first mate on the Bonhomme Richard.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

citizen k

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2010, 04:01:10 AM
Enlisted? Que?

from wiki:
QuoteAn enlisted rank (or more correctly, enlisted grades or rates) in the Military of the United States is any rank below a commissioned officer or warrant officer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2010, 04:01:10 AM
Enlisted? Que?

Remember BOB? Lt and above = Commissioned. Everything else, Enlisted.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2010, 03:12:02 AM

I don't think so.  Though he was elected Strategos a few times.  I think he was just a petty officer.  A very petty one, who constantly nitpicked the commands of his superiors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2010, 07:00:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2010, 03:12:02 AM

I don't think so.  Though he was elected Strategos a few times.  I think he was just a petty officer.  A very petty one, who constantly nitpicked the commands of his superiors.

Grumbles was at the Nika riots, putting them down with Belisarius and Mundus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

These jokes never get old.  At least, not as old Grumbler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

LITTLE KNOWN FACT:  The real reason behind Grumbler's Charge at Gettysburg was not to actually win the battle, but to rid Lee of Grumbler. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2010, 08:01:24 AM
LITTLE KNOWN FACT:  The real reason behind Grumbler's Charge at Gettysburg was not to actually win the battle, but to rid Lee of Grumbler. :)

Lee's order had 34 'Mew's' and 17 'Squee's'. The order was returned with corrections in red ink.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 23, 2010, 09:49:12 AM
There are several routes, but the most popular is going to college, attaining a four year degree while attending Reserve Officers' Training Corps.  Basically you learn the ins and outs of the military over four years focusing on the basics and the lower ranks in the first years to more advanced stuff and higher ranking responsibilities by the fourth year.  Included are field problems, courses you have to take over the summer etc.  After your junior year you attend a month long course that tests you on everything and plays a major role in what you will be branched.  Following your senior year you are commissioned and attend 'school' for what ever branch of the army you were tasked with, taking 9 months to over 2 years in some cases.

Siegy could potentially become an officer, doing the same route I did, but it's an ass-load of work.  He'd have to be accepted to a school, get a ton of recommendations, and fill out ridiculous amounts of paperwork. 

So it's doubtful.   :P

He wouldn't want to any way.  Much easier to just stay where you are, which is how most people get stuck in a rut in the military.   :ph34r:
In the Army Reserve it can be pretty easy to get a commission.  A few years ago they were trying to give me a direct commission, but I declined, repeatedly.  There is nothing worse than an old butterbar.