News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

All black people leave the store now

Started by garbon, March 17, 2010, 11:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on March 20, 2010, 08:37:40 PM
How is the announcement racist? When Mossad warned Jews in the WTC that they shouldn't come to work that morning they were being antisemitic?
:D

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on March 23, 2010, 05:28:06 AM
That's not funny. That's how you perpetuate a conspiracy theory.

Soon some jihadi website is going to link here as proof they were right all along.

All they need to do is to link to your posts to perpetuate a conspiracy theory that Jews are murderous insane bastards. :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2010, 11:27:36 PM
There is a criminal charge of bias intimidation? What is that?

As the statute indicates, it requires proving an underlying crime plus a purpose to intimidate a protected class.  The underlying crime here apparent is criminal harassment, which under NJ law is defined:

Quote. . .[A] person commits a petty disorderly persons offense if, with purpose to harass another, he:

a.Makes, or causes to be made, a communication or communications anonymously or at extremely inconvenient hours, or in offensively coarse language, or any other manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm; . . . [plus others not applicable].

This probably qualifies as a communication likely to cause annoyance or alarm, although one can question whether this formulation can survive a First Amendment challenge.  The next hurdle is proving that the purpose of the communication was to "intimidate" as opposed to merely annoy or cause offense.

This probably doesn't satisfy the definition of criminal trespass un NJ either.

The charge is a stretch but if the DA is just looking for some decent publicity and then a plea to straight misdemeanor harassment, he is probably going to get it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2010, 09:07:50 AM
The charge is a stretch but if the DA is just looking for some decent publicity and then a plea to straight misdemeanor harassment, he is probably going to get it.
:yes:

He also may have done it to stop the NAACP from bugging the shit out of him, which they seem to be doing based on a news video clip I saw about the incident.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Wow, a communication likely to cause annoyance.  99% of languish has violated this law.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2010, 10:48:54 AM
Wow, a communication likely to cause annoyance.  99% of languish has violated this law.
Disagree. 

I think the percentage is higher than that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2010, 06:31:36 PM
I can see a DA's career crashing now.  Harassment?  "Bias intimidation?"  Good luck trying to get those charges past a jury!

Trespassing, or whatever, sure.  Got the kid dead to rights.  Anything more than that is not gonna look good a few weeks or months down the road.

Uh-uh.  Gloucester County?  Glassboro's (and to an extent, Williamstown) such a dazzling urbanite heaven that the nickname "G-boro's" stuck.  That jury's not gonna want to give a snotty white kid any leeway.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2010, 09:07:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2010, 11:27:36 PM
There is a criminal charge of bias intimidation? What is that?

As the statute indicates, it requires proving an underlying crime plus a purpose to intimidate a protected class.  The underlying crime here apparent is criminal harassment, which under NJ law is defined:

Quote. . .[A] person commits a petty disorderly persons offense if, with purpose to harass another, he:

a.Makes, or causes to be made, a communication or communications anonymously or at extremely inconvenient hours, or in offensively coarse language, or any other manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm; . . . [plus others not applicable].

This probably qualifies as a communication likely to cause annoyance or alarm, although one can question whether this formulation can survive a First Amendment challenge.  The next hurdle is proving that the purpose of the communication was to "intimidate" as opposed to merely annoy or cause offense.

This probably doesn't satisfy the definition of criminal trespass un NJ either.

They're probably playing to the crowd.  We've got a couple of dazzling urbanite hubs around here (Glassboro, Sicklerville, Newark), and one of those three is likely to be a large source for the jury pool.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2010, 10:48:54 AM

aka. "Mart", "Marti",  "Footjob", "Feltchmaster"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2010, 12:07:59 PM

You're forgetting the deaf/mute lurker.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 23, 2010, 12:36:07 PM
They're probably playing to the crowd.  We've got a couple of dazzling urbanite hubs around here (Glassboro, Sicklerville, Newark), and one of those three is likely to be a large source for the jury pool.
Newark?  :huh:

Also, I didn't realize Glassboro was a bluegum haven.  I though it was all Joiseytrash.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BVN

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2010, 06:34:26 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2010, 12:07:59 PM

You're forgetting the deaf/mute lurker.
What? I never cause annoyance!