Boss: I’d rather employ a paedo than a veteran

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2010, 07:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2010, 04:51:26 PM
What *I* find a little weird is the swearing-in of new military recruits at halftime of sporting events.

What the fuck. Does it really happen?  :huh:

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2010, 03:23:50 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2010, 04:51:26 PM
What *I* find a little weird is the swearing-in of new military recruits at halftime of sporting events.

What the fuck. Does it really happen?  :huh:

Razgovory

The black guy in the second picture probably should have worn pants.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2010, 01:00:19 AM
Get a doctor's confirmation that he's too ill to sit jury?
Wrongo.  If I end up being empaneled, the person is going to be found guilty NO MATTER WHAT THE EVIDENCE MIGHT SUGGEST.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2010, 05:03:29 AM
Wrongo.  If I end up being empaneled, the person is going to be found guilty NO MATTER WHAT THE EVIDENCE MIGHT SUGGEST.  :mad:

Will you be: ONE ANGRY MAN?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

OK I have taken what passes for a military oath in Sweden. I would have been SERIOUSLY WEIRDED OUT AND ANNOYED if they had cheapened it by having me do it AT A FUCKING SPORTS EVENT.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Great.  Now languish will be subpoenaed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Agelastus

WTF.

Grumbler, have you done something? I tried to access this thread and Windows DEP function crashed the tab, and nearly the whole of Internet Explorer. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

:hug:

I knew I liked Cal for a reason.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

BTW, can you get in legal trouble for serving in bad faith as a juror?

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2010, 04:34:29 AM

Why not the white guy right next to him?  Raciss

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on March 20, 2010, 12:32:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2010, 04:34:29 AM

Why not the white guy right next to him?  Raciss

The black guy looks like he just showed up in his boxer shorts.

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2010, 04:27:24 PM
Conclusions are opinions, yes.  In American English, that is.  I am not offering any "counters" as is made plan by my statement that I have no conclusion in the absence of data.  Cost is something you brought up, and you have yet to make it relevant to the discussion.

Opinions can be changed with facts. Conclusions are final. Is that too hard to understand?

Anyway, I can't be bothered with most of the mass cropping today just to counter your own mass with mass, so I'll eliminate most of the redundant crap.

Now then...

"Obtuse" is obviously your word of the say, but I will throw it back in your face:  you are being obtuse to ignore the similarities between the two, and have yet to make your references to cemeteries (no matter their history) relevant to the discussion.

Westminster Abbey and Arlington's only similarity is that important people are buried there. Comparing a location that has become important for burials due to accidents of history to one specifically established for that function is what I consider obtuse about your position.

So there is no Brookwood Military Cemetery in Brookwood, Surrey, England?  No Aldershot Military Cemetery, in Aldershot Military Town, Hampshire?  I don't see what point you are making here that wouldn't be countered by the mere existence of The Cenotaph in London, frankly, but go ahead and try to make it.

Brookwood's cemetary is related to the memorials around the world for WWI and WWII; I am fairly sure that the USA has its share of war memorials for those two particular conflicts too. Arlington is still in use and has a much broader remit, so again a direct comparison between the two is somewhat invidious. Which is, of course, why your mention of the cenotaph has no relevance either, as would be any mention I could make of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Aldershot's a garrison town, and has been for centuries. I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a military cemetery there. It is also not a  :hmm: perhaps the best term is "designated national military cemetery" so again the two aren't really comparable. As far as I am aware Arlington's location is due to a battle rather than to it being near a long standing garrison, although I would be happy to be corrected on this point if this is not the case.

We do not have the equivalent of Arlington. The USA, as you have pointed out, does not have the equivalent of a Tatoo. You have used the existence of the Tatoo as evidence that Britain has events closer to North Korea's than the fire safety show in New York, despite the fact that I have never related the event itself to North Korean practises.

On the other hand, if you are using the Tatoos as you have been doing as an example of reverence for the military that could be seen as excessive, then raising the issue of Arlington is entirely germane to the subject, and you are trying to avoid admitting this.

QuoteOh well. Five years ago I respected you as a well read and interesting poster, one whose positions I tended to agree with on most issues.

Now I see that you are simply another one schtick wonder. Which is a real shame. :(
Always finish with a personal attack when you have no logical counter-arguments left to make, eh?  :lol:

All I can and will say here is that I can now read a thread on Languish and come to a point where I can tell exactly when you will post and ninety percent of the time what type of post it will be. That's why I used the term "one schtick wonder". All I can advise you to do is go back and reread a few of the threads you have added your wisdom too in the last few months.

After all, I've pretty much already said I constructed the original post deliberately to exclude the possibility of this type of spurious argumentative behaviour on your part, and all I can say is that I regret it failed to achieve its purpose. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on March 20, 2010, 12:36:05 PM
We do not have the equivalent of Arlington. The USA, as you have pointed out, does not have the equivalent of a Tatoo. You have used the existence of the Tatoo as evidence that Britain has events closer to North Korea's than the fire safety show in New York, despite the fact that I have never related the event itself to North Korean practises.
We have many Arlingtons.  They're in Flanders.  Menin Gate serves a similar purpose in our national identity I think.
Let's bomb Russia!