Real Player Update Fiasco

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2010, 03:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The only reason I use real player is to convienently download youtube videos. They updated this yesterday in order to make it even easier. Of course, this not only doesn't work, you can't download videos at all anymore. WTF <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

It's not like they're the only plugin to download videos, and others don't have all the crap

Caliga

I've refused to install RealPlayer on my PC for years. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Realplayer sucks.  I have to maintain it on my public computers but wouldn't touch that crap for staff use.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2010, 03:03:24 AM
The only reason I use real player is to convienently download youtube videos. They updated this yesterday in order to make it even easier. Of course, this not only doesn't work, you can't download videos at all anymore. WTF <_<

You expect one of the worst pieces of commercial AV bloatware to work properly. :mellow:
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

Google search for "youtube video download" and try various sites until you find one that works. You shouldn't have to install or download any software at all.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

Maybe you should stop stealing the property of others...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 15, 2010, 09:55:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2010, 03:03:24 AM

You expect one of the worst pieces of commercial AV bloatware to work properly. :mellow:
I never had problems with it before this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2010, 07:40:03 AM
I never had problems with it before this.

Use this incident as an opportunity to make a clean break with Realplayer, and don't look back.  Seriously, there are many better ways to do what you want without installing that bloatware.  As has been mentioned, there are websites that will transcode the video & then let you download it (make sure they are legit sites, though) and I think there are even Firefox extensions that will do it for you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Cerr

Yeah, video downloadhelper for firefox works very well.

DisturbedPervert

The videos are already on your hard drive too.  You can just go in to your browser cache and pull them out

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2010, 05:23:57 AM
I've refused to install RealPlayer on my PC for years. :)
Yeah, like the late 90s.

I had assumed they had gone under.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I guess there are enough Tims out there to keep them in business.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points