Real Player Update Fiasco

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2010, 03:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I try to remember when I encountered my last .rm file, but honestly I can't.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2010, 08:09:35 AM
Yeah, like the late 90s.

I had assumed they had gone under.

With dumbass products like this (for which they were successfully sued recently), they've been doing their damnedest to make it that happen: http://gizmodo.com/5046611/realnetworks-realdvd-legal-dvd-backup-no-real-point

While I think it was a noble pursuit for them to challenge the stupid DMCA prohibition on breaking DVD copy protection for content you own, a product that removes DRM but then puts new DRM on the ripped movie is pointless.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2010, 08:20:59 AM
I guess there are enough Tims out there to keep them in business.  :)
I never paid them for anything. It's free.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2010, 01:49:33 AM
I never paid them for anything. It's free.

Don't they serve ads via RealPlayer?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall