News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

Started by citizen k, March 13, 2010, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Scipio on March 13, 2010, 07:39:21 PM
It's telling that Viking is more concerned about the accurate description of the US as a republic, than about the omission of Thomas Jefferson in favor of that crypto-fuckwit, John Calvin.  WTF, Texas?  As secessionists, you should be promoting the cult of Jefferson. 

At first, I misread "John Calvin" in both this and the OP as "John Calhoun" and wondered why, as secessionists, they wouldn't want to promote Calhoun.   Then I adjusted my screen size, and realized who it was you were talking about.

lol

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: dps on March 14, 2010, 09:11:20 AM
It's telling that Viking is more concerned about the accurate description of the US as a republic, than about the omission of Thomas Jefferson in favor of that crypto-fuckwit, John Calvin.  WTF, Texas?  As secessionists, you should be promoting the cult of Jefferson. 

At first, I misread "John Calvin" in both this and the OP as "John Calhoun" and wondered why, as secessionists, they wouldn't want to promote Calhoun.   Then I adjusted my screen size, and realized who it was you were talking about.

lol
So did I.  Thought it was ridiculous.  Course, so is Calvin.
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 14, 2010, 07:39:28 AM
What's the end political purpose in insisting that America is a constitutional republic rather than a democracy?

I'm going to wager a stupid guess: it's Republicans vs. Democrats? I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as moronic as this behind this all.

The Minsky Moment

It's telling that Viking is more concerned about the accurate description of the US as a republic, than about the omission of Thomas Jefferson in favor of that crypto-fuckwit, John Calvin.  WTF, Texas?  As secessionists, you should be promoting the cult of Jefferson.  As Americans, you should be promoting American philosopher presidents over racist misogynists.  As Baptists, you should not be promoting a predestinationist!

This is what happens when illiterates take over school boards.

they probably think that Thomas Hobbes was Calvin's stuffed animal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2010, 05:23:47 AM
Americans Texans are deeply, aggressively stupid. The whole "America isn't a democracy" thing makes them the laughing stock of the world.

Fixed
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

QuoteCynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term "separation between church and state.")

"The Enlightenment was not the only philosophy on which these revolutions were based," Ms. Dunbar said.

It's funny because it's sad.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Fate

As long as it pisses off the liberals, it's OK in my book.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Fate on March 14, 2010, 05:38:35 PM
The problem is that it used to be the ideologues were mostly sidelined.  Now they run the fucking country.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 14, 2010, 05:59:02 PM
The problem is that it used to be the ideologues were mostly sidelined.  Now they run the fucking country.
Fate Rule violation!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2010, 08:06:00 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 14, 2010, 05:59:02 PM
Fate Rule violation!
FUCK! 
PDH!

Valmy

I am not really sure what this is a reaction against...I took all the AP History classes and so forth and nowhere did it say the American Revolution was a purely secular thing and we talked about Christianity all the time, and nowhere did it say anything about Capitalism being bad in some way...in fact I would say the classes tended to favor the traders and industrialists over the reactionary agriculturally based Lettows of the world.  And all that when I was attending class in the most left wing Godless city in the South.

So I guess I fail to see what exactly the point of all that is.  If the kids learn history at all in our crap schools I will be happy.

Seriously was the problem they were learning a non-ideologically correct history?  That is the joke of the century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Besides if the teacher is good enough to care, and thus a teacher the students will actually learn something from, it will that teachers opinions they will ultimately learn not whatever some moronic curriculum designers decide.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2010, 04:41:40 AM
It's funny. Conservative Americans appear to be even dumber than conservative Poles.  :lol:

Let me just say I voted in the Republican Primary recently and the party platform choices were so ludicrious it made me die a little bit inside.

I used to think the right wing was the party of sanity, not anymore.  Now I get to pick which band of irresponsible idiots I want to ruin my country.