News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

Started by citizen k, March 13, 2010, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2010, 08:17:10 AM
I am not really sure what this is a reaction against...I took all the AP History classes and so forth and nowhere did it say the American Revolution was a purely secular thing and we talked about Christianity all the time, and nowhere did it say anything about Capitalism being bad in some way...in fact I would say the classes tended to favor the traders and industrialists over the reactionary agriculturally based Lettows of the world.  And all that when I was attending class in the most left wing Godless city in the South.

So I guess I fail to see what exactly the point of all that is.  If the kids learn history at all in our crap schools I will be happy.

Seriously was the problem they were learning a non-ideologically correct history?  That is the joke of the century.

Heh, just about the only way to get kids interested in history these days is to hook them on historically based computer games.  :D

"I just played Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and I'm all fired up to learn about medieval Chinese history ... !"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 16, 2010, 09:03:06 AM
Heh, just about the only way to get kids interested in history these days is to hook them on historically based computer games.  :D

"I just played Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and I'm all fired up to learn about medieval Chinese history ... !"

Exactly.  Kids learn history by being engaged in some way and finding it fun and entertaining.  They retain essentially nothing from what some class tries to brainwash them into thinking.

You would think the usually individualist Texas right wing would understand that.  But anyway this makes them happy so more power to them I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2010, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 16, 2010, 09:03:06 AM

Exactly.  Kids learn history by being engaged in some way and finding it fun and entertaining.  They retain essentially nothing from what some class tries to brainwash them into thinking.

You would think the usually individualist Texas right wing would understand that.  But anyway this makes them happy so more power to them I guess.

My favorite history text for kids is the Cartoon History of the Universe. History from the POV of a former '60s underground comix artist; it's a hoot.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius