And we're back!

Main Menu

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

Started by citizen k, March 13, 2010, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Agelastus on March 13, 2010, 09:16:31 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 13, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
...the redefinition of the USA is just funny.

What part of the description of the USA as a "constitutional republic" do you object to? It's a far more accurate description than the generic usage of the term "Democracy", and probably better than the more narrow usage of "Democracy" - you do not govern yourself in the fashion of ancient Athens, after all.

Look at the kind of people who insist that the US is not a "democracy" and you'll understand why. No one has used democracy in the exclusively "narrow" sense since about, well, the modern era in any case.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on March 13, 2010, 09:29:19 PM

What part of the description of the USA as a "constitutional republic" do you object to? It's a far more accurate description than the generic usage of the term "Democracy", and probably better than the more narrow usage of "Democracy" - you do not govern yourself in the fashion of ancient Athens, after all.

Look at the kind of people who insist that the US is not a "democracy" and you'll understand why. No one has used democracy in the exclusively "narrow" sense since about, well, the modern era in any case.

A democracy is a country in which power is obtained by the freely given consent of the citizenry.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Fate

Yeah. They tend to act like grumbler. :yuk:

Razgovory

Not his fault.  Being a citizen was a big thing back then and he doesn't want anyone to demean his status.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

That Calvin thing is sectarian against Catholics <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I think Texas needs to rename their National Guard to Republican Guard.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2010, 10:13:45 PM
That Calvin thing is sectarian against Catholics <_<

There was only one Catholic to sign the declaration. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

chipwich

Quote from: Viking on March 13, 2010, 09:33:45 PM

A democracy is a country in which power is obtained by the freely given consent of the citizenry.

The Texas school board is smarter than you. Gratz.

Martinus

It's funny. Conservative Americans appear to be even dumber than conservative Poles.  :lol:

The Brain

Americans are deeply, aggressively stupid. The whole "America isn't a democracy" thing makes them the laughing stock of the world.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

What's the end political purpose in insisting that America is a constitutional republic rather than a democracy?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 14, 2010, 07:39:28 AM
What's the end political purpose in insisting that America is a constitutional republic rather than a democracy?
Settle touchy people's pet peeve when it is refered to as a democracy.  I guess we can no long refer to ourselves as The Arsenal of Democracy. :(
PDH!

Razgovory

Has connotations of "Democrats".

Warspite

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 14, 2010, 08:14:46 AM
Settle touchy people's pet peeve when it is refered to as a democracy.  I guess we can no long refer to ourselves as The Arsenal of Democracy. :(

There there, the Arsenal of Constitutional Republicanism isn't bad.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA