News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Handgunners command done.

A note on color: the black paint is shiny now, but when I varnish the figures later things will be OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Iormlund

So, apparently there's Warhammer fever at the office. We all used to play a long time ago and suddenly we've dusted up our old minis.

It turns out that my beloved Undead are now split in two, and there's already one player with Khemri, and another with Vampire Counts.  My favourites fluff-wise, Skavens, are also taken. So this weekend I dug through the strata at my mom's until I found my Empire army.

As it turns out, most is still waiting in blisters or boxes, not even assembled. And boy does it take a while to get the multi-component plastic minis out of their sprues and properly cleaned up. I've been at it for hours and I still haven't gone through the first dozen halberdiers. I'd rather not think how long it is going to take me to assemble and paint a 150-strong army ... especially since I haven't painted a thing in 20 years. Yikes!  :wacko:

Jacob

Nice!

I've gotten some Perry medievals and some Warlord ECW guys to use as an Empire army. If I ever get them painted, I'll post pictures. Of course, now I've gotten distracted by the new Warriors of Chaos book.

Iormlund

I'm a terrible, terrible painter.  :blush:
Which is infuriating since both grandparents earned their living painting/drawing. I guess the genes must have eluded me somehow.  <_<

I've got pretty much all the infantry I need from the 4th ed boxes and blisters but 20 of those are ugly Aldorf clones, and that just won't do. So first step will be to cut their heads off and introduce some variety using spare pistoleer ones. Also, their halberds will have the heads replaced or be entirely substituted with hand weapons. These minis will then be placed among the 5th and 7th ed multicomponent ones to make their presence less conspicuous.

I don't think I'm going to use much cavalry at all since it seems flank charges don't disrupt steadfast units. Maybe the aforementioned pistoleers.

I do want a small unit of the new demigryph knights. Those look baddass, both in looks and stats (Monstrous Cav with 1+ save). They should be able to lock down a lot of low strength foes and allow me to seize the initiative charging enemy cavalry and maybe get rid of vulnerable wizards.

Jacob

Painting is not about genes, but about practice  :bowler:

I got good use out of the demigryphs the one time I fielded them (using proxies).

Iormlund

Practice is what gets you to your highest potential, sure, but it's not what defines it.

To be honest not all was lost. I did inherit a rather good spatial sense, like other members of my family (my dad, my uncle ...). Unfortunately, I also have really shaky hands. At least when I'm sober. :P

Sophie Scholl

I've got shaky hands as well, Iorm.  Genetic issue.  I've learned how to brace by hands while painting though, and can actually do a decent job these days.  As Jacob mentioned, it's all about practice.  (Crappy old phone pic for reference)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ape

Beginning to look good there Brainy, you ever considered moving away from metallic colours and try non-metallic metal? Pretty easy once you get hang of it, and it looks sooooo much better.

The Brain

Quote from: Ape on February 05, 2013, 05:35:11 PM
Beginning to look good there Brainy, you ever considered moving away from metallic colours and try non-metallic metal? Pretty easy once you get hang of it, and it looks sooooo much better.

Thanks. :)

I'm not really a big fan of NMM as a 2D technique on 3D objects, but more importantly I suck so hard at painting that the simple and almost failsafe "metallic color - wash - highlight" is a lifesaver.

So do you do any painting these days? If so please share with the class.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on February 05, 2013, 03:14:43 PM
Practice is what gets you to your highest potential, sure, but it's not what defines it.

To be honest not all was lost. I did inherit a rather good spatial sense, like other members of my family (my dad, my uncle ...). Unfortunately, I also have really shaky hands. At least when I'm sober. :P

I got real shaky hands. Bracing my hands and using simple, forgiving techniques let me produce the stunning works of art I present in this thread.

The Brain

Finished the command groups for the three battles.

Fauconberg.

Warwick.

Edward IV

Now there's only basing and varnishing left. And possibly painting a supply wagon I bought recentlish, but that one is optional.

The Brain

I give you Warwick's battle, based and ready for action!

The tiny image (not the size I uploaded) is because Photobucket is buggy as fuck. Worked OK for years but these days it's garbage.

At least you can see that properly based they actually look like a medieval body of troops. :)

Basing is a multi-step process that actually takes a while, so the whole army isn't done yet.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

Fantastic work.  The only thing better is your choice of whom to support/model.  To hell with the damned Lancastrian usurpers!  I like your choice of commanders/forces as well, as it allows almost a full presence during the conflict.  Are you planning on playing some skirmishes with them, or are they a simply a personal project?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."