News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Steak help! Calling all Americans

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

No, Polish immigrants came in the first half of the 20th century.  Mostly they left to get away from Germans and Russians.  It was difficult to immigrate during the Communist period what with the walls and dogs and guys with guns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2010, 04:37:47 AM
No, Polish immigrants came in the first half of the 20th century.  Mostly the left to get away from Germans and Russians.  It was difficult to immigrate during the Communist period what with the walls and dogs and guys with guns.
Not really. You are thinking of the Communist Germany. Poland was different - essentially they were pretty happy to let people emigrate as long as they didn't come back (the obvious exception being secret service officials).

Razgovory

Apparently between 120,000 and 150,000 Poles entered the US during the commie period.  Compare this to around 2 million who entered the US between 1880 and 1914.  About 10 million people in the US claim Polish ancestry.  Many Poles returned to their home country after WWI and after the Communist government fell.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2010, 04:58:18 AM
Apparently between 120,000 and 150,000 Poles entered the US during the commie period.  Compare this to around 2 million who entered the US between 1880 and 1914.  About 10 million people in the US claim Polish ancestry.  Many Poles returned to their home country after WWI and after the Communist government fell.

I think the emigration to UK, France, Germany or Israel was much bigger though.

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on March 10, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2010, 10:36:51 AM
Well Done with half a bottle of A1 sauce poured on it.

You're dead to me :mellow:

I have to say, the Argies do steak better than anyone with their asado.  Free-range beef, slow-grilled over charcoal, preferably rare or medium rare-- so good that you only need to flavor it with salt.  For the lesser cuts of meat, chimichurri does a good job elevating the taste.

Hopefully the empty-headed populists running the Argentine gov't. are deposed soon, so that the unique Argie steak culture can survive.

The man speaks the truth. Traditional argentine style survives in Spain, though. Plenty of real-deal Argentinian steakhouses around here.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 11, 2010, 04:59:11 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2010, 04:58:18 AM

I think the emigration to UK, France, Germany or Israel was much bigger though.

Right on Germany but wrong on the others.  The US was the second most popular destination for Poles in the Post War period.

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 11, 2010, 05:41:07 AM
Brazilian steakhouses are cool.
Correct.  I miss the one in Marlborough.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I believe I will organize a trip to a Brazilian steak house now.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2010, 06:06:58 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 11, 2010, 05:41:07 AM
Brazilian steakhouses are cool.
Correct.  I miss the one in Marlborough.

The one in Kiel was great. They had a fantastic buffet with starters, and the meat and veggies they kept bringing to your table was superb. Of course you should plan three or four hours minimum to fully appreciate all the food they try to shove unto our plates and leave some room for deserts.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

sigh. I expected GullerEarnhardt to fall for shit, but you?

You disappoint me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2010, 06:50:47 AM
The one in Kiel was great. They had a fantastic buffet with starters, and the meat and veggies they kept bringing to your table was superb. Of course you should plan three or four hours minimum to fully appreciate all the food they try to shove unto our plates and leave some room for deserts.
My experience with Brazilian restaurants can be summarized as follows:

* The food tastes awesome.
* The portions are enormous.
* Brazilian restaurants are ridiculously cheap.
* It must be illegal to be a young Brazilian woman and be ugly... either that or Brazil has some of the world's best genes. :perv:

Seriously, one time Princesca and I ate at a Brazilian diner up there and the total bill was $5 (including tip).  We were laughing after we got the check.  The food we'd just had was awesome, too.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2010, 07:56:16 AM
* It must be illegal to be a young Brazilian woman and be ugly... either that or Brazil has some of the world's best genes. :perv:

As The Onion said, Brazil is "People at their most beautiful, humanity at its ugliest: Boasting some of the sexiest people ever to be stabbed repeatedly at night, Brazil is home to perhaps the most attractive victims of carjacking, robbery, and violent assault in the world."  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 08:49:05 PM
Pelmeni are small dumplings filled with meat.  You boil them in water for about 15 minutes, then when they're on your plate, you pour clear vinegar over them and shake some black pepper on top.  Having some vodka also helps the experience, but is not necessary.

Yeah that's it - boiled dumplings with minced meat inside.

I could see how gulping copious quantities of vodka might make it seem better; in fact, that phenomenon probably explains how Russian cuisine got they way it is.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2010, 05:09:01 AM

I have to say, the Argies do steak better than anyone with their asado.  Free-range beef, slow-grilled over charcoal, preferably rare or medium rare-- so good that you only need to flavor it with salt.  For the lesser cuts of meat, chimichurri does a good job elevating the taste.

Hopefully the empty-headed populists running the Argentine gov't. are deposed soon, so that the unique Argie steak culture can survive.

The man speaks the truth. Traditional argentine style survives in Spain, though. Plenty of real-deal Argentinian steakhouses around here.

I been to a couple in NY - not bad but a bit disappointing.  Probably b/c they use corn-fed US beef and don't use open charcoal grills.  However, I have had a good experience purchasing Argentine beef directly and grilling it on my own.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson