And we're back!

Main Menu

Steak help! Calling all Americans

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 07:19:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2010, 07:16:15 PM
So would it be fair to say you know less about cooking a good steak then the average person.
Not sure.  The average American person seems to think that steaks should be cooked well-done.  Obviously that already makes me a better steak cook than them.  My steaks may occasionally come out well-done, but at least I have enough judgment to not intend to cook them that way.
Well done?  Since when?
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 10, 2010, 07:39:02 PM
Well done?  Since when?
Maybe the Guidos he's hangs with in New Jersey eat it that way.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2010, 07:50:12 PM
Maybe the Guidos he's hangs with in New Jersey eat it that way.
I can confirm from first-hand experience that this is most definitely NOT the case. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2010, 07:18:03 PM
I had a vegetarian dinner. :cool:  Vegetable korma that I cooked myself.

:cool:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

The results, aka tonight's dinner, are in.  I think I invented a new style for a steak:  poorly done.

Jaron

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 08:00:43 PM
The results, aka tonight's dinner, are in.  I think I invented a new style for a steak:  poorly done.

:cool:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

A steak only needs Montreal steak spices.

Altho, I like Bulls-Eye sauce on top of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM
I am ordering a steak from an American restaurant. They offer sauces: wild mushroom butter, cajun cream sauce or demi glaze. Which to choose??????????

None of the above.  The best steaks do not need sauces.  Salt and pepper is all you need.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 05:59:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2010, 05:43:05 PM
And yes - Russian and Jewish cuisine is crap.
Just curious, what parts of Russian cuisine did you try?

The non-vodka parts.  So concededly the experience was rather limited.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2010, 08:22:49 PM
The non-vodka parts.  So concededly the experience was rather limited.
Come on, for once in this thread, I'm actually being completely serious.  Spill the beans.

MadImmortalMan

One of the good steakhouses where I live serves a steak with gorgonzola and peppercorns on it. Man, that is tasty.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Borsht is surprisingly good, especially with a dollop of that smetana shit in it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2010, 08:29:02 PM
Borsht is surprisingly good, especially with a dollop of that smetana shit in it.
:yes: One of my favorites, and that's the way you should eat it.  Another good thing about it is that it's actually Ukrainian.

The Minsky Moment

The usual: borsht, cabbage soup, blinis, pirogis.  I've also seen other dishes that were simply too revolting to try (along the lines of what gefilte fish is to Jewish cuisine).  I've been to many of the Russian restaurants in NYC, some of the multiple times.  Not to mention those horrible Uke and Polish joints in the East Village.

Sadly the Russians don't really even do caviar right; need the French to use it properly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller